Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega Military "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Omega Military

I was given this watch and looking to find out more information that is factual, on sites i seen all different date, serial number 9977804 15J, case is maked Omega

Posts: 375 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
back

posted
movement

IHC Member 1555
posted
Somewhere between 1939-1944 Francis, rule of thumb with these on most sites is 9,xxx,xxx started at 1939 and 10,000,000 1944.

If you average it (which is not really accurate either), it would be around 1943. Best way to find out the most accurate date is to contact Omega.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Bila that is the information i have been getting off the web sites as well.. i will contact Omega for more accurate production date.we are more close to u now bila, moved nth of Gympie

posted
The GS/TP on the back stands for "General Service - Trade Pattern" which is the British Army's standard code for pocket watches procured from commercial makers. They were procured from many different makers, including Omega, and since they were the standard watch issued to Army personnel who had a need for a pocket watch they are relatively common. The GS/TP marking seems to have been used between 1939 and 1945 witch happens to coincide with the Omega serial number range. The cases on these are brass with nickel plating and they are typically 15 jewel movements inside. Until you or someone professionally dismantles and cleans this watch I would recommend that you not try to run this watch other than once or twice to see how it keeps time. Old watch oil and dust create an abrasive paste that is not good for an old watch to grind away on. And if there are worn parts, they should be replaced as well lest they also create unnecessary damage.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
quote:
we are more close to u now bila, moved nth of Gympie

Nice to hear Francis, you are effectively just down the road. How far north of Gympie are you?

IHC Member 1555
posted
Great info Jim thank youSmile

posted
Bila we are below Tairo. and north of gympie..

posted
Thanks For the information Jim, this is my third military watch, the others are elgins. this is a non working watch.

posted
To add just a bit more on the markings on the back, the arrow head shape is called a Broad Arrow and it signifies that it was procured by the British government and is officially their property - though by now they are not going to be asking for it to be returned. The letter Y followed by some numbers is the Ministry of Defense's serial number for their record keeping which of course is different from the Omega company's serial number on the movement which they gave it for their internal record keeping. In theory one might surmise that knowing the MoD's serial number would make it easy to discover to whom in the Royal Army it was issued and on what day, but so far as I know that kind of information is long lost as there were so many watches being issued and they were not keeping such detailed records for future historians and collectors such as the likes of us. Smile

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
A great little township Francis, when I drove that highway a lot a few years back I used to stop in at the "Tiaro Butchers" to buy all my meat products. They used to make fantastic Salami's. Also has a nice Tea House/Coffee Shop just off the main drag through Town.