Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton bomb timer black dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have had this dial a long time often wondered what it fit,,i was told it fit the hamilton bomb timer wristwatches..What movement was used on these .

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
back

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
While I don't have an example to show you, this dial does look like the type I have seen on instrument watches, which people describe as "bomb timers." What ever the orginal use of these items, people have been known to make them into wristwatches without much effort.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Samie,

I believe that the "bomb timers" used a modified 980/982 movement. I'll check to be sure.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thinking about an item like this, there's no wonder that the workers were constantly 'motivated' during the war to do their best through print media, posters, movies and the like. How easy would it be to be DE-motivated when you were at companies like Hamilton, making the best time pieces on the planet, only to know that the precision work you had produced would be blown to smitherines...eventually. Frown

High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
WWII workers would have been modivated rather well, I think. Consider, if your young friends and relatives (maybe your son) was in the service - and might risk their lives on the quality of the timer you were making - would you slack off?

Maybe that's one of the reasons why so much of this stuff was of such high quality inside.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Not discounting that at all, Greg. Having parents and grandparents involved in the war effort, I've heard story after story of the events my entire life. I also heard about the home side of things, and after 4 years of conflict, it still got difficult to keep on track, especially when it was apparent we were going to win the war.

That's all I was saying. Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Robert Boll
posted
This is my WWII. Hamilton Bomb Timer, I wanted one of these for my military collection for quite a while.

Posts: 77 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 14, 2014
Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Here is the s.n. G64168. For anyone taking inventory on Bomb-Timers...

Posts: 77 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 14, 2014
posted
Here's mine to see Wink

...and this is where the term "Bomb Timer" came from, the Fairchild W-7 recorder/camera was fixed to the wing of an aircraft, looking very much like a bomb.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Interesting images, Werner, and well researched.

Variations of the gun camera were used by other combatents in WWII as well as the U.S.