WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinion about pair Elgin's military pocket watches. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please, write your opinion about pair Elgin's military pocket watches.
All correct with cases and movements?

First watch - Grade 506.

Inscriptions on case back:

BU.AERO.U.S.NAVY
AIRCRAFT
NAVIGATIONAL WATCH
SER.NO. xx-40
FSSC.NO.88-W-116
CONTRACT NO.72507
ELGIN NAT'L WATCH CO.

Second watch - Grade 544

Inscriptions on case back:
"AC 263 inside a triangle"

U.S. ARMY A.C.
WATCH NAVIGATION
MASTER
TYPE A-13 SER.NO.41-xxxx
ORD.NO. W535-AC-18210
SPEC.NO. 94-27968
MFGRS.PART NO.1767
ELGIN

Posts: 33 | Location: Russian Federation | Registered: April 11, 2013
posted
Pictures was removed.
If need pictures - please, send me e-mail.

posted
Pictures was removed.
If need pictures - please, send me e-mail.

posted
39 views of the topic and no opinion? Frown

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Aleksandr,

I don't know much about these, but I'll try to give you what help I can.Smile

I think the reason there have been no replies might be that what you have there is a couple of very rare watches. The 16 size 22-jewel Elgin B.W. Raymond GCT with up/down wind indicator has a rarity ranking of 4 stars in Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches (see page 187) with "book" values of $4000-$6000-$8500.

Here's an example listed on eBay for comparison:

Auction Link.

Comparing your watches to the auction example might be of some help, the seller seems to be knowledgeable and claims that the auction watch (which has a $6500 Buy-It-Now price) is correct in every way.

One thing I can tell you, your watches are both marked 21 jewels, but are actually 22-jewel movements, the extra jewel being for the sweep second hand. That's because the early military B.W. Raymond military watches were pulled from normal civilian production, which were marked 21 jewels, and converted to military watches. Later in the war they were marked 22 jewels.

Your watches look to be in very nice condition, you are indeed fortunate to own two such uncommon watches.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Edward,
Thanks for your comments and opinion.

posted
I am not an expert on these watches so I cannot say if everything looks right (I did see your photos when they were included), but I did not see anything that seemed incorrect. Because these have significant value I would think that if you ever did wish to sell them you might want to get them expertised to be sure everything is original and they are not made from parts. Also, someone has been polishing the backs which was very unfortunate as much of the value is in the markings there since it shows that these were military issue. They are still readable, but I would urge you to be sure no one does any more polishing there.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Amen to that Jim, to me as a collector, a nice case back with correct and pristine engraved markings is a huge part of the value of these military watches. It's a tragedy when people don't know enough to LEAVE IT ALONE and can't refrain from polishing or anything but the most gentle of cleaning. In my mind, that's almost as bad as cleaning/polishing collectible coins, which of course just about completely destroys the collector value.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Totally agree. Originality of collector's items is a very important for me. Thanks.

posted
Elgin Grade 544 without Wind Indicator.
Please, Your opinion.

Inscriptions on the case back:

"AC 263 inside a triangle"

U.S. ARMY A.C.
WATCH NAVIGATION
MASTER
TYPE A-13 SER.NO.41-1608
ORD.NO. 42-805-P
SPEC.NO. 94-27968
MFGRS.PART NO.1767
ELGIN

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Here's my opinion.... Very Nice! Look very original to my untrained eyes.. It looks like the watch was put away for whatever reason and not messed with.. I would collect that watch in a heart beat..

Just my 2cents

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002