• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ELGIN TYPE A-11 MILITARY "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I hoping someone can help me determine if this case was offered with a 15 jewel 539 *hack* gold tone movement? I bought this NOS case and had a mint 539 movement, dial and hands sitting around. The completed watch looks fantastic as you can see.

Thanks,

Jay

Posts: 77 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 21, 2005
posted
Back

Posts: 77 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 21, 2005
posted
Movement

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
It looks good to me Jay.

However, I'm away from my books at the moment, so I will have to check back.

Thanks for the images.

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
The A-11 Gr 539 should have 16 jewels with the sweep second bridge having the 16th jewel.
There were two other grades,the Gr.580 and Gr 554.
See Whitney's "Military Timepieces" pg 539.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Hi Jay, This style of dial and hands, I believed, are for USN issued 2 piece case with FSSC-88-W-800 (or R88-W-800) case back marking. The part no. if I remembered correctly is either 2103 or 2109. The dial/hand for the 2/3 piece USAAF/USAAC you have should be of non-luminous type like one below. I have seen both gilded and non-giled 539 hacking movement in them.

Posts: 39 | Location: Bdr Sunway, Selangor, Malaysia | Registered: June 08, 2005
posted
Thanks guys, I just bought new old stock hands from Henri @ timers in New Mexico.