WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Do I need a new crystal or a seal for my WWII Bulova? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello All,

This is my first post here. I look forward to learning more about watches on this forum.

I just bought a WWII Bulova and the crystal has either shrunk from its former size or needs some kind of seal to hold it in place. Here is a link to the Ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Does this watch need a some kind of seal or do the acrylic crystals shrink over time?

Thanks!

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2009
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
It has been a long time since I worked on one of these. But it seems to me that the crystals were of the flex-fit type.

Old yellow plastic like the crystal on your new watch will cause hands to rust and should be replaced with a new one.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Nathan,
When you get the watch, post some pics of the crystal with the sizes. I have many old crystals in a watch cabinet but I really would need the crystal number or sizes to maybe match one for you.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Hi,

I do have the watch now. As soon as I get a chance I will put some pictures on.

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2009
posted
Have you determined yet on what needs fixing in the movement? I always flinch when I see auctions where they use variations of the silly "watch is overwound" explanation.

Please be very careful not to touch the dial. The brown paint on the numbers and hands is radium and its radioactivity is still full strength even though it does not glow. The lack of glow just means that the zinc sulphide that was mixed with it to make the glow has been burnt out by the radium. You really don't want some specks of it to stick to your fingers and then somehow wind up in your mouth or breathed into your lungs as that could cause unpleasant things down the road.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
The balance wheel is messed up. I don't know if it needs a new one or what.

I am a little nervous about even handling this watch again do to the radium dust-- I had thought when I bought it that the crystal was OK. Missed that part in the description. When I got it I noticed the front was taped on and messed with it, probably should have been more careful. I wonder if I should just have somebody that is used to the dangers of radium mess with it. Kinda scares me!

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Nathan,

You may be able to send the dial and hands to International Dial Co. and they will redo the them using luminecent paint. No worries for you.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
The crystal is easy too replace and should not cost but a few dollars ,,Staffs for the balance are easy too find and the balance complete is readly available also .. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004