Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Photo Request for Model 21 Ships Chronometers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Photo Request for Model 21 Ships Chronometers

Please share pictures of Hamilton Model 21, gimballed versions.

Posts: 89 | Location: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: November 14, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hamilton Chronometers

The above images are all we have - unless someone can post a bigger one. Smile

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Greg, I'd forgotten about Larry's display!

Many will tell you the Hamilton Model 21 Marine Chronometer is just about the most accurate mechanical timepiece ever made. At some point I'll photograph and post number 152 along with its matching outer-box.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here is a 1943 Hamilton advertisement from the "Saturday Evening Post" magazine. Anyone who would like this in high-resolution to print may contact me at ihc185@roadrunner.com and I'll eMail it to you.

Hamilton took justifiable pride in these...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
I have some photos of Ham 21's and 22's on my picture site. I was particularly interested in display stands and enclosures, so that's what most of the photos are.

Here's a link:
http://www.pbase.com/rreid

Reid

Posts: 7 | Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 06, 2007
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Don & Reid,

Thank you for the interesting and enjoyable links.

Reid - You are doing some interesting and advanced things with horology.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Model 22 --- Don't forget the 22 model - very many of these were also made.

Dan

Model 22

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
This Model 21 was purchased in metal transport tub, no cabinetry. New cabinetry and plaques seen here were purchased from Gary Sellick.

Ron

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
Here are more examples of the Model 22.

Ron

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Living in San Diego makes getting these easy. Both of these 22's could have significant WWII "History". Nothing rebuilt, only regular service and 24-7 operation. The PW is a Waltham 16s 17j and my "birthday" piece. It was engraved by a Hawaiian Watch person with 8-26-45 on the back. I was 5 that day.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
But these Russian "Kirov", and "Kovet" ships watches are still the most accurate I have seen. The big guy was styled after the same movement as our Ham 21. Both of mine have "seen some time" and are running 24-7. The Russian Navy Cap emblem is another story.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi Dave,
Do you have a serial # for the large chronometer?.
do you know of any way to date them?, I have one but no information to go with it.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Good question Ray, as they are both large and both chronographs I opened up both. The "Largest" Poljot "Kirov" is s/n 3252 on both the dial and the stunningly beautiful all gold plated fusee movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Movement s/n 3252, with the 2-58 production date just below it. This was very early piece, had none of the electronic synchro switches on it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Whitney, p. 264; "These Kirov grade Poljot (Russian watch factory Number 1) chronometers have been made for the Russian Navy for 30 years (used mostly in Submarines). . . . The performance record of these fine instruments . . . is well within the (U.S.) Navy's tolerance for Marine Chronometers.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I must add that my measurements show the mean deviation of these pieces is LESS than 10 PERCENT of the maximum allowable error of the U.S. Navy. i.e., they are "closer to God" than virtually any other production timepiece made.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Smaller "Large" Poljot "Kovet" Chronometer

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Is a 22 Ruby Jewel s/n11115 53303 M134 Hacking movement. The production date marked on this one is 4-73. This equals the precision of both my Ham 22's, and is only bested by the "Big Boy", albeit a few seconds a month. Probably due to the Stopworks Spring Powered movement instead of the big guys Fusee thing. Fortunately Vladimir my "Magician" keeps these guys perfect.

posted
Thanks David, very interesting. My Boxed Chrono is not as early as yours, my serial # is 24288 but wow, they are truly amazing pieces and as you stated Great timekeepers.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I hope it is OK to post this reference to QUARTZ clocks, but it seems relevant to the topic.

On US ships, the Hamilton Model 21 was replaced by these quartz chronometers (Waltham and Marathon). So that these quartz versions could slip into same storage compartment as the obsolete Hamilton 21, the outer dimension of all are the same.
-I doubt this particular Marathon example stayed aboard on the USS Abraham Lincoln very long, as the setting stem is broken (as all are probably now broken).

In today's modern navies, I believe all ships probably use GPS for navigation.

Ron

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Lets pray these new Quartz thingy's are not "Made in China"!