Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Treasure Gets an Airing! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

Not posted any pic's of my Mil pockets for a while!

Thought you may be interested in this little gem Thought I'd bring it out for some fresh air!

Spent most of its life in the outer protector, hence condition.
Perhaps the outer case being stuck firm repelled invaders!

John.

Cortebert Outer Case

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Outer caseback
JW.

Outer caseback

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Case Front
JW.

Casefront

posted
Case back.

G.S.T.P. under Broad Arrow, serial No T 12422

Flash has picked out hairline scratches, but the back is actually like a mirror and totally unmauled!!
Closes with the serials etc slightly askew.

JW.

Case back Serial No.

posted
Inside Case Back.

Cortebert Watch Co Mark over serial No 2060113.

JW.

Inside Case Back Serial Mark

posted
Absolutely Pristine dial.
No damage of any description, Radium totally intact on All Numerals and Hollowfill Hands.
No fuzzing or staining present anywhere!

JW.

Cortebert Dial

posted
Cortebert Cal 526 Movement - AKA Rolex Cal 540.

Runs beautifully!

Cortebert supplied these movements to Rolex, which were then finished 'in house'.
If you look closely at the index lever on both the Cortebert and Rolex, they both have a slight curve - a dead giveaway!

They don't pass this way too often in this conditon!

John.

Cortebert Movement

posted
Really nice find John! Drool, drool.

I've always wondered about the various G.S.T.P. markings. In addition to the serial numbers many have letters as either part of the serial or stamped nearby. Some of the ones stamped nearby I know indicate Commonwealth country armies such as ones marked with an I are for India, but do you know of any good list that lays out all of the different letters and what they all mean?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks Jim, but careful with the drool ..... wreaks havoc on keyboards Big Grin

I've often wondered about the prefix numbers on casebacks, but I've never seen any definitive work on the subject that would give clues to what they actually represent.
Maybe one day, some info will pop up from somewhere to clear up the mystery!

John

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Very neat! A wonderful find, especially considering how you acquired it.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Thanks Clyde,

I must confess to suffering serious auction Twitch when that lot went under the hammer. I still feel it now every time I pick it up!

John

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An exceptional G.S.T.P., John. Thank you for the images.

The construction of the outer case/watch protector looks interesting. Did it come with the watch? If so, does it have any maker's marks? The only other watch protector I have seen on a G.S.T.P. was an English made black rubber model.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks for the comments Greg, thought you may like it Smile

I've some more photo's to post yet, just need to edit them.

BTW, where the ends of the case top are bent up slightly, is where I sprained it so the darned thing could be got off and back onto the watch, I'll straighten it out at some point.

The case is in two parts, and appears to be pressed stainless steel or some such material.
There are no makers marks or anything on either of the case halves.

The back is shaped quite tightly to the watch case, with a slot for the pendant.
This has caused some fretting on the case band, which I hope will polish out.

The ends of the pendant slots have also nicked the case band either side of the pendant. Don't think they'll come out, but I may be able to burnish them out a little.

The front with the crystal (quite yellowed now)also has a slot for the pendant, and this part slots over the top of the back totally enclosing the watch.
It fitted so tightly, the join between the two halves (which overlap) barely showed.
The back has a piece of red felt lining it, so it protected the back of the watch beautifully.

Best regards

John

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks John,

I don't think I have seen a watch protector like yours. Thanks for the description.

The other stuff sounds interesting. Navigation is horologically related, so fair game to post images of such stuff. I know alot of us enjoy such items.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi,
Just reading through this post and few posts back there was a question as to the different miltary markings of British Commonwealth countries. In Canada the broad arrow was encompassed by a "C".
Thanks, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
posted
Hi Greg,

Finally got a few more pic's of the protector for you to browse!
Also one of the damage caused by it to the watch case band!

I've a couple more of these protectors, but they're 'Pear shaped' and hinged, designed to enclose the whole watch including pendant etc.
Unable to find 'em at the moment, can't for the life of me remember where I put them!

John,
That's an interesting twist to the Crow's foot mark, never seen one like that yet.

BTW, I've also an un-named GSTP watch that has had the 'GSTP' struck through, and 'GPO' plus a serial number engraved below the original. (GPO = UK General Post Office).
Actually bought that a while back from a retired postman!

John

Protector Back.

Protector back

posted
Protector Case Front

Protector Front 1

posted
Case Protector Front (Internal).
JW.

Protector Case Front 2

posted
This shows the damage caused by the tight lip on the pendant relief, hopefully I'll be able to burnish some of it out!
The fretting on the case band isn't so apparent.
John

Band damage

posted
This shot shows how the relief dug the grooves in the band, the top outer cover pressed the edges so tight, it was almost impossible to remove.

John

Watch in Situ

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you John. I find watch protectors interesting.

As for British and Commonwealth markings, I recommend THE BROAD ARROW by Ian D. Skennerton. This book is a must for collectors of militaria and weapons. Australia, South Africa, Canada, India and the British Isles are covered in great detail. The unit markings found on swords and bayonets are covered rather well. The book does not have any markings specific to watches and clocks, and some of these markings are entirely absent. On the other hand, it was only through this book that I was able to learn that my South African military pocket watch had a "sold out of service" marking.

Another book with U.K. military markings is A CONCISE GUIDE TO MILITARY TIMEPIECES by Z.M. Wesolowski. While this book is not as comprehensive as we might like, it is a must-have for serious collectors.

Best regards,
Greg

posted
Thanks Greg,
I've been digging around for the other cases today to no avail, but will post pic's of them when they finally come out of hiding!
My 'Shop' resembles such a bomb site at the moment, my wife has a hard time even finding Me in it! Roll Eyes

I bought Weslowski's book a while back now, good read and very informative!
I'll check my local library for the other, see if it's listed.

Best regards

John