• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Trench Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Elgin 15 jewel trench watch with a two-tone 3/0 movement. I have worked on plenty 3/0's in the past but have not seen a two-tone 3/0 movement. Elgin data base shows gilt from this 1915 model, but no mention of two-tone. The watch has a Philadelphia three piece silverode case.
The white porcelain is nice but has a slight hairline between 10-11 position. Crystal is slightly turned purple along the edges so it may be original. Missing the case screws when I got it but replaced them with later model screws. Since it has wire lugs I am on the hunt for a nice strap. Any suggestions for a strap?

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted

posted

IHC Life Member
posted
Ernest,
Looks to be the same pattern as my 16s from 1917.
It is listed as nickel and not two-tone.
I've seen two patterns from the same run.
Nice looking watch!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Thanks Steve. So do I call it a nickle movement when describing it?

IHC Member 1736
posted
Ernest,

I prefer the band with a leather cuff under the watch and a pass through strap through the wires with a common buckle under the wrist.

I find these watches to be a bit too floppy to be comfortable to wear without resting on the leather cuff.

The trick is finding one with a cut and size that complements the watch rather than dominate it.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 2030
posted
Stumbled on a site in the UK that has bands.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks Mike. These straps look like they fit the bill for what I need.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Ernie did you look at the military watch bands on the internationalwatchman.com site..I have purchased many bands from him over the years and have always been satified with his bands..

Posts: 2003 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Nice watches.
"Information from VintageWatchstraps.com © David Boettcher" Has some good stuff.
Duh, I didn't realize that before 'wrist watches' were in use, everything was just called a watch. 'Pocket watch' was not used in the Hamilton catalogue in 1919 but it was in 1932!

There are many strong opinions on both sides of the conversion topic.
In my opinion they are good for advancing preservation of old mechanicals.
There is a company in Philly, Google: DoughBoy watch co. This is a pic from their site.
And what a business plan. Watch $50, convert and sell for $850.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Being new to the hobby, it is an error to assume a watch value. The doughboy co. Could be a very valuable watch for all I know.
And Ernie , if yours was converted in 1916, it could be priceless .

I have thought of converting the $45 bay special below for right arm.
Any ideas on material for wire lugs and method of attachment is welcome.
Thanks
Mike

posted
These kinds of civilian wristwatches were being purchased and used not only by soldiers during this time period, but also by civilians who were finding wristwatches to be a better alternative for their needs than a pocket watch.

There are some really good older threads here that show the wristwatches that were the ones actually being offically procured and issued by the US Army during the war:

John Barros' collection

Greg Crocket's examples

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Jim!

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Making fake collectors wristwatches by adding wirelugs to common antique pocket watches is highly unethical on many levels.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg, I did not add wire lugs to this watch case. IMHO this Philadelphia wire lug case was made originally that way and not added later. I have seen many examples of this case in the past.

IHC Life Member
posted
I disagree (in part). MAKING such a watch for personal use is not unethical. REPRESENTING it as a collectors' item IS unethical. There's a difference!

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
IHC Member 2030
posted
Yes Mr. Sloan, as a polite and family friendly discussion, all points are well taken.
Licensed professionals and tradesmen recognized by a sanctioning organization are bound by ethical standards.
As an example, a pro repair person shall respectfully inform a client that they would not alter a historical piece, other than functional improvements.
As a private amateur collector/artist you are permitted to build most anything.
Personal ethics would dictate that it is not represented as a real item, only faked.
Mike