Killer Deal on Kirov Ship's Chronometer

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/6261013423

October 28, 2008, 16:00
David Abbe
Killer Deal on Kirov Ship's Chronometer
My friend Sabina is offering This chrono,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marine-chronometer-Polet-16698_W0QQ...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

and also the extremely accurate Poljot deck watch at her same site. The $599.00 Buy it now is about half what this is worth. This IS the BEST ships Chrono ever made.

October 30, 2008, 15:38
Jim Hester
A nice looking clock, but $190 for shipping seems like the the seller is trying to make up for a lower price with an excessive shipping cost. Also, it is hard to tell from the photos but this one appears to be a recent production one made for selling to the collectors market as opposed to one that was made for and used by the navy.
October 31, 2008, 21:33
David Abbe
Jim, The price is 1/2 normel, judging from the Brass coloration the clock is early 1960's as it lacks the electro synch that was added in the late 60's. The shipping charge is actual cost for a large heavy box with the main unit cases, and the separately packed (and corked) chronometer works.

I have never heard of these being "made for export". The Russian Navy had a waiting list for them, along with the other little PolJot beauty she sold today to be made also.

Too bad, this Chrono sold to Taiwan.
November 01, 2008, 00:20
Jim Hester
I just did a quick look on the web and found this
place that sells new and used ones of these. The seller is offering new ones for $999 and used ones from $370 to $630 depending on condition. Disclaimer: I have no relation of any kind to this seller. It is just the first seller I found using a google search.
November 01, 2008, 11:08
Jerry Freedman
Just to put things in perspective, I bought four of these chronometers with both boxes for $2000. They were bought from a seller in the state of Washington, and all had been overhauled before I received them.

David: The curator of horology at Greenwich, gives the honor of being the best mechanical marine chronometer ever made to the Hamilton 21.

Jerry Freedman
November 01, 2008, 13:14
David Abbe
Jerry, I would have no argument with the curator at Greenwich who is certainly far more qualified in his/her opines than I would ever hope to be. I go by personal experience only and comment from that perspective only.

As for the 4 you bought for $2,000.00 all new in the box, that's a heckuva deal. Congratulations, you must really like them!

In the past year, the sov's have learned much more clearly what the value of those and the smaller Poljots actually are.