Tools
Reply to Post

Killer Deal on Kirov Ship's Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My friend Sabina is offering This chrono,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marine-chronometer-Polet-16698_W0QQ...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

and also the extremely accurate Poljot deck watch at her same site. The $599.00 Buy it now is about half what this is worth. This IS the BEST ships Chrono ever made.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
A nice looking clock, but $190 for shipping seems like the the seller is trying to make up for a lower price with an excessive shipping cost. Also, it is hard to tell from the photos but this one appears to be a recent production one made for selling to the collectors market as opposed to one that was made for and used by the navy.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jim, The price is 1/2 normel, judging from the Brass coloration the clock is early 1960's as it lacks the electro synch that was added in the late 60's. The shipping charge is actual cost for a large heavy box with the main unit cases, and the separately packed (and corked) chronometer works.

I have never heard of these being "made for export". The Russian Navy had a waiting list for them, along with the other little PolJot beauty she sold today to be made also.

Too bad, this Chrono sold to Taiwan.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I just did a quick look on the web and found this
place that sells new and used ones of these. The seller is offering new ones for $999 and used ones from $370 to $630 depending on condition. Disclaimer: I have no relation of any kind to this seller. It is just the first seller I found using a google search.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Just to put things in perspective, I bought four of these chronometers with both boxes for $2000. They were bought from a seller in the state of Washington, and all had been overhauled before I received them.

David: The curator of horology at Greenwich, gives the honor of being the best mechanical marine chronometer ever made to the Hamilton 21.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry, I would have no argument with the curator at Greenwich who is certainly far more qualified in his/her opines than I would ever hope to be. I go by personal experience only and comment from that perspective only.

As for the 4 you bought for $2,000.00 all new in the box, that's a heckuva deal. Congratulations, you must really like them!

In the past year, the sov's have learned much more clearly what the value of those and the smaller Poljots actually are.