Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Requested Regarding WW2 Watch... "Click" to Login or Register 
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

We recently received an eMail asking about this watch.

"My grandad left me a German WW2 Helma Watch...any info would be great"

Image #1

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted
Image #2

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted
"It has a Unitas 173 movement"

Administrative Assistant
posted
Image #4

IHC Member 1555
posted
The Letters & numbers on the back (D26885H) could possibly stand for the "property mark & contract number" of the German Army Service. This usually for watches made in Switzerland for them during 1939-40. Also as you said Dr. Deb, a Unitas Caliber 173, and 15 Jewels, also should be a 13 lignes with the meaning of "Wasserdicht" (Water-proof) & "Stossgesichert" being (Shock-proof).

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Administrative Assistant
posted

Thank you Bila!

posted
I am not a German military watch expert, but my guess is that the D and H around the serial number on the back might stand for Deutsches Heer which translates as German Army. Have you access to Konrad Knirim's excellent reference on German military timepieces " Vol I: Militäruhren This is the best place to look for information on your watch and to confirm that it is an issued German military watch rather than just a black faced watch of that general era.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This watch appears to be a WWII vintage, private purchase, Swiss made watch. It is exactly the pattern purchased and issued by the German military. But not all of these watches were German Government issued.

Collectors call these watches, "DH watches." They are highly collectable. If it was a DH watch the letters stand for the following:

The D stands for Dienstuhr = service watch
The H stands for Heereseigentum = army property

To take advantage of collectors, the unscrupulous have been known to stamp D...H numbers on the backs of period but non-miliary watches and pass them off as genuine military issue.

In my opinion, someone stamped a bogus D...H number on the center of the back of this watch. Notice how well worn the back of the watch is. Compare this with how fresh the D...H stamping appears. Further, most legitimate D..H watches have only one serial number on the back. This watch has two serial numbers; one well worn and the other comparatively fresh.

Although I could be wrong, if this watch was offered for sale I would not be interested.

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

Thanks everyone for your help!

Appreciate the input.

Debbie

posted
Thanks, Greg, for the correction and great assessment as to whether the DH serial number is a forgery. I would agree with you this is likely a forgery based on the wear patterns.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004