Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seikosha (Seiko) Marine Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
I have just acquired and restored this WWII vintage Japanese Marine Chrometer.

As most folks know, Seikosha was bombed out during WWII and rose from the ashes as Sekio.

I would be interested in any comments or information folks could give me on this clock.

I believe the translation of the Japanese on the dial reads "Wind every seven days." It is also interesting that the dial is writen in Japanese, but the manufacturer is in English. Humm, go figure.

Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 285 | Location: Springfield, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 06, 2008
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
Here is a closer look at the dial.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
I also had to put in a new balance staff and it had a cracked cap jewel.

Picture of Ken Knight
posted
I removed (for the picture) the protective shield over the fuzee. The works are in great shape.

posted
Very interesting clock.

How well does it keep time now?

Posts: 18 | Location: Redmond, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 03, 2009
posted
Nice look's like a fusee movement should keep good time.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
It keeps time well, however, I have not measured it in seconds per day. When I acquired it, it had a broken balance staff and cracked cap jewel.

posted
Is there a way to date Seikoska clocks by their serial numbers? Have you been able to get a translation of the two kanji on the black metal outer rim - the ones just in front of the numbers there? Military issued clocks from the WW II period, including Japanese ones, invariably have data plates affixed to their cases with the details with things like the contract number, serial number, military proofing/acceptance marking, etc. Does this one have a data plate?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Ken Knight
posted
I had a Japanese translater look at the clock, and all she could do was a simple translation of the kanji on the face. She may have said that one of the letters on the case may have said "ship or boat."

I need to find someone who can really read it.

There was no metal data plate affixed to the case. Also, there appears to be no marks where one was attached.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I think the two characters in front of the number on the case indicate the clock was made for use on ships.

Seikosha made these clocks with simple movements as well as the fine 8 day model pictured. It seems odd, but for some reason the inside often is not marked in Japanese.

Data plates are common on Japanese equipment, but for some reason they are not common on ship's clocks.

Thank you for posting the fine images.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Ken,

it reads:

ICHI SHU KAN KEN ICHI KATA

Literally

One Week Interval Wind One Type

''wind with week interval, type one''

If you do collect Japanese clocks you may check:

http://germanwatch.proboards.c...s&thread=3132&page=1

I will also post this thread there....

Nice valuable clock, congrats !!!

rgds