• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Real early US Navy Elgin WA aircraft clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

If you look at the dial you will see 98-31 the 31 is the year 1931 don't see this in the book military time pieces by Whitney.I was told this came out of a Curtis F9C sparrowhawk only six aircraft were made.The Navy was using giant airships like the USS Macon and the USS Akon.So they order six aircraft.They were lunched and recovered by a trapeze that lowerd through large doors wich opened on the under side of the airship.The sparrowhawk intered service in 1932.There is a sparrowhawk in the Smithsonian if I ever go there I will have to ask to see what clock is in that aircraft and see if the story is true.At the elgin serial no site they have a aircraft clock section it's a Elgin WA aircraft clock.

Were I work on a clear day I can see this hanger from across the Bay when in the Navy reserve I took a advancemt test in the hanger they had class rooms on the side's of the hanger it's huge it's at Moffet field.

Here is the only sparrowhawk F9C left it's in the smithsonian museum

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is my 1932 BU. AERO. U.S.NAVY GCT aircraft navigational watch. It's the only one like it that I have ever seen. My favorite pocket watch to date.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
James nice Naval GCT watch first one I ever seen.And a wind indicator to.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Hi Mike. I really like your Navy clock. I agree that it is most likely an aircraft clock from 1931, but unless there is some pretty solid provenance I would take a very large grain of salt with the story that it came out of a Sparrowhawk. As you mention, there were only 6 built, and of these 4 were lost when the Macon crashed into the sea, one was given to the Smithsonian. That leaves only one that was scrapped. Also, this type of clock was generic to all aircraft of the day. The odds of it having come from that one scrapped Sparrowhawk as opposed to the thousands of other Navy aircraft built around that time are pretty small. If you could find some proof then it would be quite a nice clock to have!

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi Jim I just consider it a good story that I was told to me when I got it at a mart a few years ago.I know I need more proof to find out if it is true.But still it is a nice clock that you don't see that often.

posted
I agree that it is a great looking clock and I wish I had one in my collection. I will definitely have to keep my eyes open for one.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
here is something I found at the Elgin serial no web site.
http://elginwatches.org/scans/...Aviation/l_pg12.html
From a 1932 elgin catalog