WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tho Armstrong and Bro Manchaster Admiralty Mark II "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:
I received a watch today to clean and oil and I though I would share some pics. On the dial is marked Tho Armstrong and Bro Manchester Admiralty Mark II. The movement is marked Octava Watch Co. Switzerland, 15 Fifteen jewels 2 Two Adjustments. I assume that it is an eight day movement as I wound it last night and it was still almost fully wound after 24 hrs.
gp

Grant Perry

Actava

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Movement

Grant Perry

Octava 2

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Movement 2

Grant Perry

movement 2

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A nice one, Grant. This is an early WWI Admiralty aircraft timepiece. It was used in much the same way as those of the Royal Air Corps, such as their MK V. It is an 8 day model.

As you may know, the hands are old but not original. Originally it would not have had a bow.

Thanks for the post. The Admiralty models are not often seen.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Greg:
Thank you for the information. I did not know that this was originally an aircraft model, or that the hands were not original. That is why I appreciate this board. It gives an opportunity to learn Smile
Thanks again,
gp

Grant Perry

Picture of Ben Roberts
posted
Hello Grant
Further to the excellent info. supplied by Greg on the Armstrong Bros. watch.
As he says, it is the Naval version of GB's Airforce Mk V watch. (See the great work done by Jim Hestor regarding their identification in previous posts)
The MkV was introduced in 1916, and I assume this naval version was also.
From the start of WWI, up until 1918, the two military flying arms of Great Britain consisted of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. Your watch would of course been used by the latter. The two air branches were combined in April 1918 to form the Royal Air Force.
As Greg stated, the naval version of this watch is quite rare, I have never seen one so specifically marked before. Also if it is an eight day, it would be even rarer, as the majority of Mk V's were 30 hour.
I don't know anything about Tho. Armstrong and Bros. of Manchester in that era, but it is where I was born in the UK and I do have a white dial wall clock made by Thomas Armstrong Bros. of Manchester dating from ca. 1850, so I am going to follow up on this, and attempt to find out if by any chance the family name continued in clock and watch making into the WWI period. May come to nothing, but if you are interested I will pass on anything I find.
I would very much like to see the watch sometime at one of our Chapter 111 meetings if you ever get the chance.
Ben Roberts
Ottawa
Canada

Posts: 34 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 04, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Ben:
Thank you for the great information. It isn't my watch; however I will see if I can borrow it for the next Chapter 111 meeting so that you can see it.
Thanks again,
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Ben Roberts
posted
I Goofed ! - Or:
"Why one should not jump to conclusions too quickly!"
Grant Perry was good enough to bring the watch over to me last night, and to leave it with me so that I could take a good look at it. After examining it closely I was a little suspicious and did some investigating.
Firstly the watch is definitely not a Mk V, although it is very similar to one, both in appearance and make-up.
I then found that on page 30 of Z. M. Wesolowski's book 'Military Timepieces' are pictures and text about this watch. The pictures and Grant's watch appear to be identical except that one picture shows some lettering below the hands which I cannot decipher. Both carry the same retailers name on the dial (Thomas Armstrong & Bro. Manchester) and both were made by Octava. Also the engraving on the movement (Octava Watch Co. Switzerland, 15 jewels, 2 Two adjustments U.S.A.P 816321, 5769) appears to be approximately the same.
The text in the book states that: "As the Admiralty Department mark on the dial suggests, this watch is an early and rare aviators Mark II timepiece from the naval wing of the RFC, circa 1913" and "is of eight-day pattern."
Also Greg, as you will probably see if you look in your copy of the book, it appears from the pictures that the hands on Grant's watch are original.
This was interesting for me in particular, as I had never come across a Mk II before.
In addition, as I stated in my previous (and incorrect) posting, I have a White dial clock by Thomas Armstrong & Bro. which I had assumed was ca. 1850. However the apparent existence of an identical company in 1913, may bring this date into question, as previously I had only found references to them up to 1873.If anyone has any other information about the Armstrongs I would be glad to hear about it.
Thanks for your efforts Grant - Very much appreciated
Ben Roberts

Posts: 34 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 04, 2003