Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Buships WW restored, need case gasket "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I'm more familiar with the chromed cases or the Parkerized SS Star ORD Dept cases for this era.

This case sure looks right to me... but I just don't have the experience. The 987 movement serial number O354366 works out to 1944.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...031074312#3031074312

This case looks a lot like the one in the top row, farthest right...

I snapped up and am sittiing on a couple of 1952 navy surplus cases just like the one, second row, farthest right.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
much lower profile than the octagon ORD Dept case back

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
case markings look good to me

posted
Paul, sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry. I do not believe the case you are showing is correct for a BuShips Hamilton with the 987A movement. All Military 987A Hamiltons I have worked on or collected are in Keystone cases and are marked with a letter H between the lugs. This one appears to be a marriage of an incorrect case.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thank you. I have a couple 1952 navy surplus Ord Dept cases. If this case isn't original, it is definitely a correct replacement in that the OEM spacer ring and seals all fit this movement perfectly.

I think for now, rather than burn up one of my Ord Dept cases, she's pretty happy in this case.

IHC Member 1736
posted
It's been a long time since I went full court press on a 6/0... this one turned out to need a lot of work. Vtg Band, new crystal, seconds hand, stem, crown, stem retaining lever and screw.. a result of dampness at the stem opening... the rest of the watch cleaned up and responded well to a full COA... I did have to spot treat some rust stains and run it through the Zenith solutions a second time to get satisfactory results.

The dial responded nicely to a very dilute dawn dishwashing solution treatment with a cotton makeup application swab.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1736
posted
I'm looking for a case gasket...

I'm pretty well convinced this case is original to this watch... I just have no way to know for sure.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I ordered an ounce of D-Tek luminescent powder (orange)... my next experiment will be to work with another pair of these military hands and some binders to see if I can fill a set of hands that will look nice and hold some lume for a few hours.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Paul I have some of those hands NOS if yours don't turn out...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011