• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Deck Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently bought at auction what I believe would be called a Deck watch. It is double boxed with the inner box that is five inches square. The gimbaled movement is an 18 size,adjusted Waltham PS Bartlet. I would be glad to email pictures to anyone that would like to see the piece. I have not been able to find any information on this piece and would appreciate it if someone could help identify it.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Hi
There is a site called photo bucket from your computer you can transfer photo's to photo bucket and from photo bucket to this site so every one can see any watch you want to post.Photo bucket is free.I would like to see it but this site is not set up for private message or what we call PM at other forums to give private stuff like are emails to other members we trust.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
I will look into transferring pics on photo bucket.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Mike, I got on to photobucket and made an albumn of the pictures. I could not see a way to post them to IHC. Do you know how to do this, or can you view the pictures on photobucket?

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ken and everyone,

Welcome to IHC185 and let me explain about image hosting.

We have been hosting our own images here on IHC185 since the beginning of 2003 and they are all still here, tens of thousands of images hosted on-site at no additional charge for all our IHC185 Members and Registered Users.

Frankly, although it works well for Mike, we try to discourage use of the various free hosting services like "Photo Bucket" as in time images hosted elsewhere may disappear. Many of those hosted on various other services often do disappear when people change Internet Providers or the hosting service goes out of business or people just let their account lapse. On the other hand images hosted here remain here.

The preferred way to post images on IHC185 is to simply include them as part of your posting. In every post you make there is a line in bold type:
"CLICK" TO ADD IMAGE OR ATTACHMENT

If you simply click those words when you are posting it will open and you can then very easily attach the image. To add more images just click [Reply to Post] and do that as many times as you like.

Additional instructions are posted in public here...

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE.

Hope this is information of help,

Debbie

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5198 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Ken
On photo bucket you will see the photo you want to post put the arrow on it above the photo you will see Edit share delete hit share then hit link code you will see img for bulletin board & forum copy and then go to forum and post.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Here are some pictures of the Waltham Deck Watch that I bought

posted
Bottom

posted
Out of gimbaled case

posted
Movement

posted
Ken what are the serial number's on the movement?

posted
Thanks for your clarification. I received a very helpful call from a Mr. Riddle that also added some clarification on how to navigate this site. I made my first effort at adding pictures.

posted
Ken here is a post I did on my waltham it's a little differnt but a waltham.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...281062923#3281062923

posted
The S/N id 6554893

posted
From the serial number at the Waltham serial no look up says your movements a PS Bartlett model 1883,17 jewel,18 size movement and it was made between 1895-1899 and from the book complete price guide to watches said it was made in 1893 I wonder what one was right when this movement was made.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Welcome to IHC185, Ken! You have a very nice Waltham deck watch. As to when it was made - neither the Waltham database nor the watch guide are 100% correct, but I would put much more faith in the database.

Your watch was made in a 500 piece run between 1/1/1895 and 7/31/1899. As it is about in the middle of the run, a good estimate would be 1897. But you have to realize that Waltham may have made 250 the first year and the remaining 250 over the the other 3 1/2 years. And production was not always done in serial number sequence. That's one of the quirks that make collecting watches so much fun - trying to pinpoint when a watch was made!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
I am not concerned with the date of manufacture of the movement. I am trying to find out when this type of "deck watch" was made and where it would have been used. It seems to predate the use of the Waltham 37 movement that was used in gimbaled deck watches.

posted
Durring the beginning of WW2 deck watches and chrometer's were in short supply a company called roth brothers would use pocket watch movement and maybe up jewel them or ad stuff to the movement to make them a better time piece for navigation so yours could of been used by the merchant marine they were sinking a lot of liberty ship back then and before Hamilton getting the contract they mite of sold a few like yours this is just a guess.I saw something about Roth Brothers in a book.Here is some thing I found at another forum may be this will be a start on your search for more info.
http://www.mcintyre.com/phpBB2...php?t=1526&view=next

posted
Thanks, I will check in to see what I can find out about the Roth Brothers. I will probably begin to clean this up next week. I will post pictures after it is done.