Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HMS Ark Royal Waltham 6B/60 pilot's watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I have just acquired on eBay (it hasn't arrived yet) a Waltham Vanguard 23 jewel pilot's watch inscribed to the rear AM Chronometer 6/B/60,G&S Co.Ltd.,191/40,and inscribed to the rim "HMS Ark Royal" in an English Dennison watch case . It is viewable at eBay # 110468235579. Is there any way to ascertain which pilot it was issued to as this was during Ark Royal's glory days when she making history in WW2

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Nice watch.I think it's the real mcoy becouse I found some thing close to what you just got but in a wristwatch.Waltham movement in a dennison case.Here the thread.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...90103944/m/495104491
I tried to look for the code AM 6/B 60 in the book military timepieces by Wesolowaski they have the code's it was not there but I found a photo of a Hamilton 4492B with AM 6/B 60 on the back cover.The 40 stands for 1940 the issue date so to could of been used durring the glory day's.And I did a lot of home work on mine and the more I dig the more it looks like the real mcoy.Your's look's real to me.Just my 2 cent's.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Found out what 6B/60 stands for some one got this out of Knirims Book for me another reason I need to buy it.
This is what it stands for a short verson.
For use as a accurate and reliable time piece to be kept in a fixed position at station for checking other timepieces not intended for use in aircraft.So it was used to check the time of pilots and navigator's watches before the do a mission.And here is some info on the HMS Ark Royal.
http://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=147

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
It arrived today,splendid speedy delivery at Christmas,as I just paid for it on the 12th. What a beauty ,better in person than eBays pictures, no extra movement screw marks looks like it's been a family since birth,serial # dates movement to 1938. The ship was launched on 13th April 1937 & completed in November 1938 ,appropriate to the date of the movement ,and saw extensive and illustrious service during WW2 before her loss three years later.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
picture #2

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
picture #3

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
picture #4

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
picture #5

posted
Nice watch Tom,
Would be nice to know who had the forethought to grab this watch when the "Abandon Ship" order was given prior to her sinking.
Nice watch with a great history.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
A real nice watch.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
thanks Ray and Mike for your kind words on my watch. ; I lost three family in the Royal Navy in WW2 and one in WW1 ,so the Royal Navy is very special to me as are all their ships and the brave men who sailed them in time of war,many my family,the great heroes of my life,though none were on the Ark Royal,I don't think. I can see the "OPS Officer" Timing the pilots watches as the deck crew were warming the Fairey Swordfish engines to go after the Bismarck. With Bismarck almost in reach of safer waters, the Fleet Air Arm Swordfish biplanes launched from the carrier HMS Ark Royal torpedoed the ship and jammed her rudder, allowing heavy British Naval units to catch up with her. In the ensuing battle on the morning of 27 May 1941, Bismarck was heavily attacked for almost two hours before sinking. I emailed the chap I purchased the watch from , a great guy ,(ticknocrat on eBay) and asked him if he would tell me the name of the former owner of the watch but he said he got it when buying a collection years ago, so I guess that info is lost.Too bad really ,anyways I'm thrilled to own a piece of history

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Good to see someone got the watch the appreciates it's history. I was watching the auction & it is the type I bid on but I am short of funds due to Christmas, or else we would have had a bid war.

Tom, you might give some thought to becoming a dues paying member, for the price you can't beat it & there is a world wide group of great women & men here.

The next few posts are a newspaper article about the sinking.
Tom

ARH

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Number 1

AR01

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Second part

AR02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Last part

AR03

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not too sure how this photo will post.

AR04

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Another

AR05

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi tom : I took your wise advice and paid up for a membership and a book, regards,Tom

posted
Here is a short video clip where the Ark Royal is shown in battle.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=12701

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello Tom,

I have a very similar watch only mine is Bu. Aero U.S. Navy circa 1932. It has the same movement as your only with an added UP/DOWN wind indicator. Mine is an aircraft navigational watch. The serial number of mine is 26964382, so slightly older than your example.

Best,

James

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Jim;I would love to see a picture of it front and back. Thank you for the note.Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
And are you any relation to James P. Delgado, PhD, FRGS, RPA,former director of the Vancouver Museum,and now on The Sea Hunters T-V shipwreck dive show ?