Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Nice a-17 waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a nice Waltham a-17 housed in a stainless steel case ,i got 2 military watches from a local estate this one and a elgin the elgin is just about as nice as this one but the band litteraly fell into pieces when i tried too undo the buckel.i need too find a band for it..What i like about these is they are all original as far as i can tell and not worn out.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
edge of the case has the original finish still in place

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
military marking still in good condition

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Marked 17 jewel but i believe with the extra jewel on the second hand bridge it would be 18 jewels

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Stainless steel case made by star.

posted
That is really nice one. If it they were mine I would not replace the broken wristband since it is an original part of the watch and carries a bit of its history. If you do want to use the watch, on the other hand, you should definitely get a new replacement so it will not break and let the watch fall. You should also clean and adjust the movement - either yourself if you have the tools and expertise, or have a professional do it. I am sure that the oil in it is old and gummy with all kinds of dirt particles in it that will be pretty rough on the movement if you run it very much.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
thanks Jim the movement in the waltam looks too be okay..The Elgin is marked a-11 along with all the military markings on the back so it may be from ww2 it was so dry it would barely try too run i did service it. The band on the Elgin was not a original band so really no history lost.