Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A 1940 vintage RAF clock discussion - in French. "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Anthony Crisci suggested visiting this forum for info on WWI French aircraft clocks. However, I bumped into this nice English WWII RAF clock which we don't see every day. Even if I don't understand much French I can still look at the pictures:

FRENCH TIME PIECE FORUM

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Lord Nelson's gold pocket watch

How's this for a "Military" timepiece

The gold pocket watch made by London watchmaker James McCabe and belived to have been carried by Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson as he led England to victory against the forces of France and Spain at the Battle of Trafalga, October 21, 1805. He died in this battle when a musket ball from a sniper in the rigging of a French ? ship struck him in the spine.

The Inscription reads "Pres. to Adml. Lord Nelson By the Officers of HMS Victory Aug 20 1805".

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
Face of Lord Nelson,s watch

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
And last but not least.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The officers of the HMS Victory had good tast. Thanks for the images.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks,the small photos hardly do it justice at all.
The sub dial at 12 o'clock are hours
The two sub dials at 10 and 2 o'clock are each numbered to 60 I assume them to be minutes and seconds but there is no indication as to which is for what.
The center sub dial is numbered from 1 to 5 and I have no idea what that might
be for,a ship at least today has 6 watches maybe back then the royal navy had 5 ?.Not a clue.
The sub dial at 8 o'clock is marked with the phases of the moon
and numbered to 29 1/2. The sub dial opposite it at 5 o'clock looks to be months
and the half sub dial at 6 is numbered from one to two so I am guessing maybe a wind indicator?

A P.S. Are we allowed to post photos we wander across in our travels through cyberspace or
is that frowned upon ?

P.P.S
Greg ,a web page about that nice spitfire clock.
http://home.earthlink.net/~firedog46/spitfire.html

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Posting images found around cyberspace is done often on this forum, and they are greatly appriciated. If convenient, a link to go with the images is also a good idea.

Thanks again,

Greg

posted
Thank You Greg that's good to know about the photos and the links. I have something for you to see,a Japanese timer of some kind out of a downed aircraft. Maybe you can tell me what it really is , I sure do not know I will try to shoot it and post it later tonight.