Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Approximate 4992B date? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Could anyone tell me the approximate manufacture date of my newly acquired Hamilton 4992B?

Serial number 4C88796

Thank you!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Steven D. Jencso
posted
Hi Mark,

The website I found puts your serial number circa 1945.

-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much, Steve. I could find info on 992B's, but none on the 4992B.

MUCH appreciated. So, the end of the War, eh?
Interesting!!

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

From what I recall a number in the 4C90000 range was 1944 issue.

The Hamilton records were donated to the Library by John F. Gelson, the last President of Hamilton with the understanding they would be made available to our members upon request.

The 4992B is a great watch and of historical significance.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you very much Lindell. Request has been sent.

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
To close the loop, according to Don, my watch was completed and delivered on 5/02/1945 and sent to contract 64-2275. Unfortunately they have no information who that contract was.

The watch was built as a 24 hour version, but from my description, it was definitely an aftermarket Hamilton conversion kit installed, complete with black 12 hr dial, 12 hour wheel, white hands and sweep, and clean back cover.

Thanks all for your help in finding out information. Oh, Don said he was carrying a duplicate 4992B converstion watch in his pocket at the time he wrote me. (grins)

Regards! Mark