posted
I know nothing about this.

Can anyone comment.

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted
back

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted
I am not sure it is actually an aircraft clock. I had thought these were mounted either on radio sets or perhaps even in vehicles - but I am not sure. There are a couple of discussions of Italian Aircraft clocks here on the Forum at
Italian aircraft clock discussion 1

Hopefully Enzo or someone else might add some more specifics.
and
Italian aircraft clock discussion 2

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Perry,

Your clock is an Italian Radio Set clock. Here is a prior discussion of them which includes a link to the Italian Military Watch Discussion Board:

ITALIAN RADIO SET CLOCKS

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hallo All,

while i was able to find the evidence that Boselli was a private business located in Milan, Italy (posted here) i havent been able yet to determine who OMT was either a private business or the acronim of a Gvnmt technical organization , a workshop run by the military as there were some at the time.
During wartime i. e. the Research Center of the Airforce made wrist watches out of machined aluminum cases and single pusher pocket chronos.
The OMT logo doesnt appear on the specialized magazines of the time and nobody remembers about it today.
Neither i came across any radio set equipped with these clocks yet.
Evidently there is an abundancy of loose clocks around as i saw several around here too but it is strange I never saw any installed.
I would be pleased to give more details if i will know more.
Best regards

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Well, untill further evidence presents itself, the radio set theory is still up in the air.

The only published information about clocks like this is on pg. 26 of MILITARY TIMEPIECES Courtesy of The Society of Military Horologists, Chapter 143, a cataloque of a special exhibit at the Museum. A similar OMT ROMA clock is pictured but with LeCoultre on the dial above the off-set seconds bit. The description states that the timepiece was one of the few things to survive the crash of the airship "ROMA" which was purchased from Italy by the U.S. after WWI.

Thus, we have possible use of at least one of these clocks in an airship. Clearly, the name on the dial, ROMA, cannot be connected to the name of the fallen airship, ROMA, otherwise the airship must have been quite full of timepieces.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
There is always the possibility that the name on the clock, Roma, and the coincidence of the name of the airship, Roma, could have given rise to a misunderstanding either by the writer of that reference or by the person who provided that information to the writer of that reference about that particular clock having come from the airship. Or, if it really were from the Roma, there is also the possibility it was attached to one of the radio sets carried on board the airship so it may still be a radio set clock rather than a flight instrument.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005