• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 554 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm in need of a Elgin model 554 centerwheel for my military WW2 wristwatch and understand these are no longer availble through the normal sources. Is there a resource available for NOS or good used parts for this movement? Any info greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Location: Cypress, Texas in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
J. Borel & Co might have what you are looking for. http://www.julesborel.com/

You can also email them at mail@julesborel.com or call (816) 421-6110;
(800) 776-6858 (orders);(800) 776-6862 (FAX)
They are located in Kansas City.

Good luck,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the lead. I'd just about given up on my 554. It's a nice WW but the pivot is worn to the point it has formed a oval in the non jewel bearing and when the watch winds down, the pivot slips off center and everything comes to a screeching halt until you tap it. It would be nice to install a jewel in the place of the metal bearing but I understand it's a weird shape and a "normal" jewel won't fit.

Anyway, If I can get a good center wheel I will be halfway home.

I sort of lost track of the military group since Commander Bricker died. It's good to see there is still interest in the military stuff.

Have a nice weekend,
Tom

posted
Well, bummer. The centerwheel assy has ben discontinued. Back to square 1.

Thanks anyway,

Tom

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Tom,

Bit difficult to guess but when you say weird shape, do you have a picture?, I take it the pivot itself is not worn just the plate.
I maybe able to do something to save it.
Let me know if you would like me to take a look at it.

quote:
It would be nice to install a jewel in the place of the metal bearing but I understand it's a weird shape and a "normal" jewel won't fit.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If you go to dashto.com he has several partial movements for sell. This link should take you to the page & then search 554.
http://www.dashto.com/newlists/partialmovements.htm

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Chris, I'm just passing along info on the shape of the plate bearing but the pivot is worn as well. It sounds like both need to be changed.

Tom, I'm checking with the dashto link for replacement parts.

I really appreciate the group help. I've joined and look forward to getting more involved with my military clock and watch collection.

Thanks all for the help.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Tom,

I did a quick search on Ebay, lots of 554 for spares, cheap also!

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003