Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 1973 Vintage "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Swiss Hamiltons ,British Army Issue,W10-6645-99. Broad Arrow on face and back.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for posting. These are attractive watches. For some reason, the American issue Hamilton wristwatches of the 1970's are all found in round, gray, parkerized cases. The British issued cases had far more flair.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Nice watches Ged!

I have a Hamilton like Greg described from the 1970s era. As you'll see its dated 1976 so I guess its Viet-Nam War Issue. The condition is great, I had it serviced and it keeps very accurate time. It's one of my favorites, I love the "look" and I wear it a lot. The dial elicits many comments and questions.

Tough "Parkerized" Steel Cased Hamilton makes a strong statement...

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

Here is the back with all those numbers, could anyone explain them?...

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Nice watch Dr D' ,Our military spec' watches all have fixed strap pins which the American military watch I once owned didn't have, is that usual?. A watch like mine sold on Ebay for £110 only 10 days ago,I am very tempted to follow up with one of mine, £1= $1.76.Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Administrative Assistant
posted

Thanks Ged,

Mine has permanent pins as well and the strap is one piece. I wouldn't part with mine, but ironically we did buy two originally and sold the lesser one. You could possibly justify selling the lesser of the two you have.

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
There has been alot of interest in VietNam and post-VietNam watches in recent years. Even the plastic "disposable" Army watches have a strong following of collectors.

Discussions of these watches are often posted on the Military Watch Resource cite (MWR) = www.broadarrow.net Plenty of fun to visit.

MWR HOMEPAGE

Best regards,
Greg
(a.k.a. "45Auto" on MWR)

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Enclosed is a pic of my Army isue Hamilton that I got new from supply in the summer of 1982. The date on the back is May 1982. Another note on these "parkerized" steel cases. They are a one piece case with a split stem. The movement comes out through the front. At least mine and Debbie's are that way. I have seen some with this type of steel case where the back screwed off. I wore mine for 12 years until I retired in 1994. Watches are drop accountability in the supply system, so I could take mine with me. I have never had mine cleaned, and it still works perfectly.

Sadly, I don't have my plastic Benrus which was initial issue for the Far East. It bit the dust during an operation.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The plastic Benrus is an interesting watch. An example in my collection is dated 1969 and marked, "non-maintainable". However, as I recall, the movement was of good quality. If someone wanted to repair a "non-maintainable" plastic Benrus access to the movement is via the front by removing the crystal, etc, the same as the metal cased watches.

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Dr. Debbie,

In response to your request for additonal info, I found this watch still listed in the goverment's supply system. The cost is $58.00. Big Grin

The following information is for the stock number printed on the rear cover. It's now referred to as the NSN or National Stock Number

Would you believe the government still has the five dial clocks that were used on the WWII Navy Corsair? Last time I checked, there were 10 Hamiltions and about 30 Elgins left in the supply system. WOW! Let's line up for the next surplus sale!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Administrative Assistant
posted

John,

Thanks so much for the information on my watch, I'll print and save it. The "NON MAINTAINABLE" surprises me as Rich Kuhn the watchmaker said it is a very high quality movement. I guess that's the government for you.

Which brings me to asking why they would be storing parts for sixty-year old planes?

What could they be thinking?

Dr. Debbie

Smile