WW2 German U- Boat Clocks. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted

posted

posted
Any opinions. I am confused. Does a serial number on the face mean it was on a Uboat

Mine does not have a serial number on the face.

The corrosion on the back looks like it was from salt water.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Perry, welcome to the forum.

Is the dial on your clock silvered metal, painted metal, or paper? It's hard to tell from the images.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg,

Still waiting to recieve it.

Perry

I was told it was silver

posted
Greg Crocket,

I asked to inspect the clock before purchasing the clock. You asked: Is the dial on your clock silvered metal, painted metal, or paper? It's hard to tell from the images.

I asked the seller your question and the deal fell through. The seller backed out.

I think it looked like a paited dial or a paper overlay.

What do you think Greg.

posted
It sounds like there may have been something "not right" about the clock since the seller backed out when you started asking the appropriate questions. Greg's point about the dial is a good one, and for a clock that has so much wear and damage on every other part, the dial looks terribly out of place. There isn't even any of the usual wear on the dial around the winding stem where the key would have been inserted repeatedly to wind it up. You would expect to see a circular pattern of scratches and wear heaviest next to the edge of the hole and fading out as you move away from the opening where the key would have been rubbing as the person who wound it up would have taken a moment to move the key around slightly to line it up on the stem.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Jim has cinched it. The condition of the dial does not match-up at all.

Another point, I don't think I have ever seen one of these with an original paper dial.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Jim Hester,

I am confused by some comments.

Does the serial numbers on the dial mean it was more likely to be on a Uboat?

I read also no serial number on the dial means it is more likely to have been on a uboat.

Which is the correct answer?

I am really confused on this point.

Regards,
Perry

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Military Timepieces by Z.M. Wesolowski. Page 184,and 14, Gives a little info on U-Boat clocks. Gives price guide to Watches and Clocks also, but these are not up to date of course, Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Perry, sorry for the delay in responding.

I don't think I would put much stock in either theory. To the German Navy these were general issue, and widely issued. If a clock broke it was taken out of the ship and it was replaced. After being serviced, it would then go into stores to be placed on whatever ship/sub might call for one.

As far as I'm aware, there was only one timepiece built especially for U-Boat service. It was a navigation chronometer in an extra rugged sealed box. There is one pictured in Konrad Knirim's book. Otherwise, all of the other clocks on a sub could be found on almost any ship in the German navy.

Best regards,
Greg

posted
Greg and Ged,

Thank you so much forthe information.

I will continue my hunt for a Uboat Clock.

Regards,

Perry

posted
What does NG stand for?

It is the NG versus N or O

posted
Well Greg Crocket,

I finally got my hands on a German Uboat Clock.
movements number is

The dial has a number 15963. The sticker on the back says Kienninger
> Obergfell 15963 N 39
> It appears to be written many years ago at the KM Clock shop.

posted
The back.

Can everyone give an opinion.

The clock on the locking block also has stamped 39.

Any guess on the year or where to research the dial number?

Have at it because I am just a collector.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Perry, A nice looking clock. As far as I can tell from your images it looks original.

Not a big deal, but you might want to look for a longer sweep second hand.

Thanks for sharing your new find.

Best regards,
Greg

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, The Sweep Second Hand is the same length on my Clock and on others that I've seen, so I think its right. I have also noticed longer ones on doubtful examples such as the suspect Paper-Dial one. Regards to All, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
I ran across this photo of a U-boat radio operators console.

I heard the Uboats had 5 big clock.

Notice the small Junghans J30E with a 3 inch dial.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks Ged. I appriciate the assistance on the sweep hand, I must remember to check first and then type. Confused

Interesting; Two clocks for the u-boat radio room; one for local time and the other for German time?

A bit of u-boat trivia, examples are known of u-boat radio rooms fitted with captured French aircraft clocks.

Best regards,
Greg

posted
I just finished watching the classic U-Boat movie "Das Boot" last night on DVD. 3 1/2 hours long, but very suspenseful.

And a lot of detail went into the submarine interior sets. I also noted what appeared to be an American pocket watch hanging on a string.

Ted

Posts: 106 | Location: Highland, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2006
posted
The NG markings