Page 1 2 3 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Expensive WWI Phantasy Piece "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13966&item=6535671911&rd=1

Here we go again.... Bidders id protected.... a fancy story... Albatros scouts at 18000 feet..... shot down in flames to be resurected later to have this post wwi military GBP20,- watch sell for???? Also, nice effort with the A (in red) on the dial... this will probably catch some unsuspecting beginner out who will then shy away from the hobby... shame really.

Posts: 132 | Location: London/London/England | Registered: December 13, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
What crap this is. And yet, the seller has a good eBay score.

The plain went "down in flames and fall to pieces in the air" (But the watch is in great shape!) The seller should write commic books.

The markings show a little bit of research, but they are not authentic - not in placement nor design.

For the fake markings and the write-up I give this one a D+.

I wonder how he did the dial?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
The A on the dial is not even centered.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
http://cgi.ebay.de/IWC-Beobachteruhr-Reichsmarine-Krieg...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is an interesting one. Would not know why a III Klasse should have the eagle albeit be it a Weimarer eagle. I think that knowing or unknowingly this is a redesigned piece being offered. Also the eagle looks more like the modern 70's version. Am not 100% sure but would also not touch this one with a barge pole

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Sharp eye, Oliver. The issue of the eagle is apparent when you point it out, otherwise, I would not have noticed it. Another issue - should the serial number of the movement and the case match each other - or are they usually different?

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
more often than not the serial numbers match but with IWC it is different they had movement numbers and case numbers in the inner lid usually you should find both. On military watches there seems to be a relatively frequent mismatching which I presume happened post war but know of one documented occaision (paper storage box) war time mix up. Must have caused the poor guy some monsters of a headache

posted
Forgot to mention that the box has another 5 numbers on its side and still came with a different IWC ;o)

posted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RFC-PILOT-AIRCRAFT-WATCH-Named-29...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

'Phantastic' piece.... and its getting the attention....

posted
Good catch Oliver. That one is one of the worst forgeries I've seen lately. Whomever the forger is who made the dial couldn't even get the broad arrow centered - it is a little too far to the left.

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
That watch with a bunch of stars on the face would be a great buy for a Texaco Man. ..You can trust your car....

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
http://cgi.ebay.de/diff953-Lange-Soehne-WWII-MILITARY-N...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would love to get some opinions on this one ;o)

bidder hidden and the second tour of duty on Ebay...

posted
I am not at all knowledgable on WW II era German military watches, but I don't see a military marking on this. Shouldn't it have a Kriegsmarine or some other military marking of some kind?

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Oliver,

While I could be wrong, the Lange looks like it's missing a cap jewel for the escape wheel. These watches usually did have branch of service marks. What else do you see?

Best regards,
Greg

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
By the way, Oliver,

If you would like to do a semi-regular post on questionable military watches, I would like to call it -"THE WULFF REPORT"

Best regards,

Greg

posted
Yes it should have military markings on the back but these were often enough rmoved. Originally I was not happy with the lettering ini the movement and the bezel but I must take that back and revise my suspicion. It is probable that this is a good piece. Would be interesting to get the shipping log from Lange for it. Sorry, think I got it wrong.

Greg, don't have to call it by my name as I would really like to have others bring in suspicious time pieces so that anyone can get an opinion prior to bidding. I am also a collector of wwi aviation related items and have developed a real hatred for the forging community. Probably 1/3rd of my pilot badge collection is doubtful ;o( hence me trying to help ;o)

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Understood Oliver.

BTW, do you have any Imperial Russian aircraft timepieces or pilot badges? It seems to me that early Russian aviation is interesting but has received little attention.

Best regards,
Greg

posted
Nothing at all, I assume that some of their stuff would have been French but there is very little to go by. Most things would have been used for long periods of time after the war in the revolution and beyond hence I doubt that much survived.

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
My German is a bit rusty, however, I would need a translatation tool as such:

http://www.freetranslation.com/

Overseas transactions and International law is often tricky.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks, I have used that service.

Every internet transaction has an eliment of risk. I suppose most of us mentally account for that risk when we set a limit for what to pay for something seen on a screen.

Best regards,

Greg

posted
http://cgi.ebay.de/ARMBANDUHR-KRIEGSMARINE-fuer-U-BOOTE...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is interseting. In the small print this seller identifies it as a post war production but nevertheless advertises it as Uboat wristwatch. Often this watch is also offered as the real mac coy... only Poljot did not produce KM watches. Fact is that there are no submarine wall clocks, submarine comanders pocket watches submarine stop watches etc. of course post 43 a large number of the equipment might have seen service in that part of the navy but wall clocks would have been used both in surface and underwater vessels, the chronometer pocket watches with the luminous dial were standard for the navy from 43. Here one also needs to be aware as both stowa and laco have produced commemorative pocketwatches with a luminous dial very nice but a little too late.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Oliver,

The above reminds me of the great number of fake dials being produced in the former USSR. It's quite an epidemic over there.

Even common WWII era Soviet watches are getting hard to come by with original untouched dials.

Best regards,

Greg

posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-WW2-FLIEGERTRUPPEN-30351-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem pocket watch turned into wrist watch turned into large pilot watch.....