• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A-17-A value "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an A-17-A model Bulova watch that was my grandfathers, He was a WW 2 glider pilot and it was issued to him, It is in good working condition.serial #10646 I'd like to know it's approx worth..I might consider selling it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Perris, California in the USA | Registered: February 15, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
My best advice to you ,from my heart , is to keep the watch in honour of someone who served their country. Wink Three of my family were lost at sea in WW2 through enemy action! Frown Would that I had any or all of their watches,it would be a great honour if I did ! Every day that I see my flag wave,or see their pictures, Eek I know the exact cost of our freedoms, our wonderful democracies !!! Smile

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
The thing about old family timepieces, just like so many heirlooms, is that often the history that gets passed down with them gets confused in the re-telling of stories over the years.

The model A-17A wristwatches are not from the World War II era. The Bulova A-17A was a mid to late 1950s model and were a variation on the early 1950s A-17 model. WW II era pilot and navigator wristwatches were the model A-11. Was your grandfather in the Air Force in the mid to late 1950s or maybe early 1960s when these were issued to the men? If not, he might have bought this somewhere along the way in his life.

These are nice wristwatches and well made. As a result there are a great many survivors of them in the marketplace. Values have a wide range as condition and originality play a big factor. A beat up one good mainly for parts or a substantial rebuild might go for something in the $10 to $25 range. One in good condition but that has not been recently professionally serviced by a watchmaker might go for something in the $40 to $100 range; and one that is in perfect condition that has been recently professionally serviced (not just a $25 dunk of the movement in a vibrating bath of solvent, but a real servicing by a professional watchmaker who takes everything apart and cleans things and replaces worn or broken parts, then puts it all back together) might get as much as $150 to the right buyer in a retail setting. The professional servicing might wind up costing more than the watch is commercially worth unless you are skilled enough and have the specialized tools to do the servicing yourself.

These prices are not very high and the sentimental value of something from their grandfather to most people would be far higher. If it were me I would keep it for the sentimental value.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi Randy, can you post any pictures of the watch?.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006