Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamiltom Model 23 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I recently bought this Hamilton Model 23 with the orginal box on Ebay, the Master Chris Abell serviced it for me, I have never worked on one of these & this one was too nice for me to tinker with.

Dial

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The serial number on the case matches the number on the box. The watch was made in 1945, not really connected in anyway but I thought it interesting that the watch was made the day the US crossed the Rhine river into Germany.

back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The box.

box

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is the movement. After I admire this for a week or two I will probably place it up for auction on our site. I want one of these to keep but I tend to buy a carry watch & this one is too nice with the box to use.

Thanks for looking & any comments are welcome.

Chris Abell does fantastic work as you all know & is great to talk to!

Tom

movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very nice, Tom.

I will keep an eye out for your auction!

I shall bear 'Chris Abell' in mind.

I have to think about the 'distance'.

Roy.

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
It is interesting to note the large difference in the date of the serial number and the official acceptance date on the box. Normally the year in the serial number is the actual or a close year to the acceptance date. Perhaps Hamilton made more of these than the Army Air Force wanted at the original time of the contract and they were delivering them from their overstock during the following years as the AAF came back to them over the years for additional ones? Interesting question.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Jim

According to the Hamilton ledger that I got from the NAWCC the watch was finished on March 7, 45 the same day as the acceptance date on the box.

Tom