WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

my recently acquired Model 22 Hamilton deck watch - watchmakers chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I recently bought my third model 22 and lo and behold,unlike the other two it is fully functioning. Big Grin It is a real beauty in near mint condition. Now if I can only get the loose stems fixed on the other two Confused

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Tom, that looks sweet.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Nice item Tom! Is that box black walnut or mahogany? Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A nice one Tom! I am still saving for mine!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
it is a mahogany box Ed,in original varnish

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom...What's the problem with the stems on the other two? These are pretty easy movements to repair.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Roger : the stems are loose and come out when pulled and I can't set the time. They both have obviously the very same problem. I bought them on eBay from two different sellers as working but no sales to Canada , so I had them shipped to my US shipping address and by the time they were forwarded to me it was too late to file a not as advertised complaint Roll Eyes do you fix them ? They both run and keep good time and the up/down indicators work fine.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I'm off to spend the rest of the day in hospital on dialysis so have a great day Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom, Yes I do fix them. I've sent you an email.

Roger

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Hi Tom,

Nice chronometer! That one is on my wish list.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
My 2 Hamilton Model 22 watches arrived home safe and sound yesterday,Roger,all's well and thanks for the quick service and turnaround Big Grin

IHC Life Member
posted
My pleasure....Glad they arrived safe and sound.

Roger

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Folks. Tom I am going to hijack your post to ask a question if I may.
I have Model 22 in its original case that I would like to mount on a small table of some description. Does any one have information of what would have been used while these watches were in use on board.
Thank you.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
John,
If I'm not mistaken there were two versions of the Model 22. One was the gimbal mounted version shown earlier in this thread. The other is a deck watch, which is like a large pocket watch that was stored in a wooden case. That watch would have been matched to the gimbal mounted model 22 (or model 21 if the ship had that) and carried around the ship to set the other clocks.

IHC Life Member
posted
Another view

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
a lovely example Roger !!! Wink

IHC Member 1892
posted
Thanks Roger. Mine is in the gimbled Box (like in Toms Pics). I had seen somewhere that they were often mounted to a small wooden table that was in turn affixed to the floor. I would like to make something to mount it on for my den but wondered if anyone knew what was used or how mounted. Mine has a wooden plate on the bottom of the outer case with 2 holes for what appears to be holes used to screw it down to something. It is this something I am wondering about.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
As far as I'm aware this was to screw the clock in place on the wall shelf or table in the wheelhouse to keep it safe in wild and inclement weather and/or from the violent shocks of battle Wink