Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ETA 955.114 Repairs "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks,

I have a quantity of military issue CWC G10's all of which are non-runners. These use an ETA 955.114 quartz movement, modified to UK Defence Spec with 7 jewels, center second & hack facility. The circuit board is very slightly different to the standard (civilian) type but everything else looks to be the same.

Assuming that the circuit boards are OK can I cannibalise the readily available standard movement for coils & crystals?

I should admit right now that, as far as quartz movements are concerned, I'm technically illiterate. Any advice on testing coils, crystals and circuits would be most welcome. Also, I'd be grateful for things to watch out for, e.g. max. power input when testing, possible requirement for heat sinks when soldering etc. etc.

Many thanks,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dick,

You are basically going to have 2 modules to look at, the circuit board and the mechanical side I expect most problems will be with the mechanical side and need cleaning in a similar manner as conventional mechanical watch for the most part, special attention needed if working on the stator, there are some quick fix sprays that may work to free the train, and of course many fancy tools and test equipment that can take you a lot further into diagnostics. Your circuit should draw 1.8uA operational at 1.5v 0.5uA stopped, the coil resistance should measure 1.3-1.8K ohm @ 0.2v It looks like the coil is part of the circuit so would not suggest trying to transfer them some are separate modules, you will more than likely see under a 20 x loupe if they are damage also, any problems drop by and will show you how to do it Big Grin.

NOTE you need the special low voltage meter for testing otherwise you will cause damage to the circuit, coil etc.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
quote:
any problems drop by and will show you how to do it Big Grin.

I´ll come as well to see how it´s done! Big Grin

Nice explaination Chris!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Werner,

Germany, yes of course your welcome also when passing drop in for a visit Smile

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003