Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

24-hr GCT dials "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Steven D. Jencso
posted
I've been looking at 24-hr GCT dials and noticed that the numbering on some go from 0 - 23 hrs and the numbering on others go from 1 - 24. What is the significance to the difference in numbering?

Generally, the ones I have seen numbered from 0-23 are Elgin BWR grade 581. The ones I have seen numbered 1-24 are the Hamilton 4992b.

-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
It may indicate a change in military spec's or only a manufacturing variation. If we are fortuante, someone may have an answer.

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I don't have the answer, but 0 - 23 makes a lot more sense than 1 - 24. While one could call midnight 2400 hours, it is more commonly referred to as 0000 hours. And more importantly there 1 minute after midnight is only referred to as 0001 hours, never 2401 hours, and for all the times after midnight up to 0100, the time is always 00XX and never 24XX. Placing a "24" marking on a military timepiece instead of a "0" or a "00" (even better) marking is not of much practical use.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Steven D. Jencso
posted
I have been given an answer to this question that seems reasonable:

The black Elgin GCT were made for U S and were marked 1 to 24.
The white dials were made for the Canadians and British and were marked 0 to 23.

-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, When I did my NATIONAL SERVICE 2years compulsory time. 2400 was never used. Midnight was 2359 ,followed by 0001 .As i am only a youngster ,I don't know about WW2 Times that were used then. I served in 1956-58. Trained at Gibraltar Barracks,Bury St Edmunds and was in "The Suffolk Regiment". Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Ged,

Did they still issue the No.4 .303 Enfield rifle at that time?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, Yes I trained with the Lee Enfield 303 Rifle, and obtained "Marksman" Badge, Had to shoot and qualify once a year to get the extra pay. That was the grand sum of 3shillings and six pence a week = 6pence a day as we were paid 7 days a week obviously. Before we went Metric there were 20shillings in a Pound and 12 pence in a shilling. It was a great rifle to shoot with and as you know was bolt action with a 10 round magazine. As I was getting ready for Demob' I actually got to fire the Belgian FN automatic rifle which was coming into service. This new rifle was not liked as it meant nearly all existing "Rifle Drill" had to be re-written. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
The reason for militaries around the world going to the 24 clock was to eliminate any possible confusion arising from having two times every day with the same basic designation.

What I have found amusing is that for a system that was supposed to eliminate any confusion, that there is still much confusion. Ged is correct that many militaries used to use, and some still do, the convention to eliminate the 2400/0000 qundry where they pretend that midnight never happens. They count the time as 2357, 2358, 2359, 2359 again, 0001, 0002, and so on. Having 2359 used to designation both the real 2359 as well as midnight seems to defeat the purpose of 24 hour clock time eliminating any possible confusion. I'm not sure the 2400/0000 dual use is any better though, but to my mind at least it doesn't use the same number for two consecutive minutes and one would never need to ask "Do you mean the first 2359 of the day or the second 2359 of the day?" In my time in the US Air Force we used 2400/0000 with the distinction being that one would use 2400 if your point of view was to be talking about the end of the day and 0000 if your point of reference was to be talking about the beginning of the next day.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Wow, Jim. That is confusing! I do find the 24 hour dial of use when traveling - what with jet lag a 24 hour dial is of great help when I wake up from a nap and don't know if it's a.m. or p.m.

Ged, the old S.M.L.E. .303 was and still is a great battle rifle. As you know, the "Old Contemptables" of 1914 shot so fast with these fine bold action rifles that the Germans thought they were under attack by machineguners. I have fired the No.4 and the older No.1 MK III at the range and have been quite pleased with them.

Best regards,
Greg