Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Zaigor wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert Farricy
posted
I recently purchased a ZAIGOR wristwatch which may or may not be military. It is a 17J mvt with ZA 4213 stampped on back. Wesolowski's boo does'nt have it. Can any one identify what the AZ is? It is a non-hack mvt.
Bob Farricy, IHC #259

Posts: 56 | Location: Syracuse, New York USA | Registered: June 05, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted

A firm named Girards has the above watch listed for sale. Is it like yours? The Girards discription claims it was used by the British military in the 1960's / 1970's. The above is said to have a 21 j movement. The seller claims it is marked RA947 on the back, which they claim was stamped into the watch by the military.

First, to me this watch does not look like a military watch used by the United Kingdom. Second, the marking "RA947" does not appear to be consistent with the NATO stock codes used by the U.K. at that time. Finally, no broad arrow property mark is noted. It might be a nice watch, but I don't think it was issued by the U.K. Many sellers are attempting to cash-in on the military watch trend.

BTW, I checked Pritchard for the name "Zaigor" and it was not listed. Thus, the watch might or might not be Swiss, maybe Russian, Chinese or Japanese? Zaigor is an odd name. One I have not yet seen.

Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Robert Farricy
posted
Thanks Greg for the info. No my watch does nt look at all like the one you pictured. I thought the AZ might stand for ANZAC but there was no arrow. The case back markings are in English (waterproof,etc.) I appreciate your effort.
Bob F.

Posts: 56 | Location: Syracuse, New York USA | Registered: June 05, 2003
posted
I think that "ZA" is sometimes used as a two-charater symbol for South Africa.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002