Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Italian Military Radio Set Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Here is an example of an OMT ROMA Italian radio set clock. Above the six o'clock position it is marked: "Le Saleve" along with a logo of, GFR or should that be FGR? The F is imposed over the GR.

O.M.T. stands for, "Officine Meccaniche Tecniche" in Rome. O.M.T. clocks have been seen with various other brand names on them such as LE COULTRE.

These clocks appear to have been used in applications other than wireless sets, including the cockpit of at least one Italian airship in the 1920's.

The bezel is used to wind the clock. After the lever is pushed over, the bezel can be turned to set the clock. Depending upon the manufacturer, OMT set levers may be located at various other positions, such as at the three o'clock spot.

Liga, has started a post about these little clocks over on the new Italian Military Timepieces Forum. (The new Italian forum is part of the German Military Watch Forum):

Italian Military Watch Forum

Be sure to have a look at Liga's new forum. Little has been published about Italian military timepieces and I look forward to learning a few things over there.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Thanks for posting that, Greg. Very neat!

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Most of the O.M.T. clocks I have seen have been automobile clocks, though this one is different from them.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Jim,

Can you describe the OMT automobile clocks?

Thanks,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I've seen them on Ebay over the years, though I don't see any there this week. They tend to look a little more like some of the flange mounted Smiths auto clocks, or like this nice Zenith car clock that is on Ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-8-Day-Car-Clock-Swiss-Mounte...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hello ,

i finally found traces of the Company Boselli on the pubblication RIVISTA MARITTIMA,
issue March 1965, a pubblication issued by the Ministry of Defence, Navy in Rome.

In the appendix :LIST OF MANUFACTURERS OF PRODUCTS FOR THE NAVY,
SHIPYARDS AND COMMERCIAL NAVY the Company BOSELLI appears among the listed Suppliers.

The ads says that they supplied onboard clock (8 days , electrical , master, slave clocks)
and control clocks ( nightw atch clocks, workshop clocks), signal and timing clocks,
cyclical clocks, servos.
No other application were listed.

It is interesting to note an advertising on the opposite page of Company PANERAI (PANERAI & SON)
in Florence which shows that the Company was still active at the time in its own original structure
before bankrupcy and subsequent reopening under a new ownership in the '90 .
rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005