Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

VETERANS DAY "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
VETERANS DAY

America is a nation that many of us take for granted. The freedom, liberties, and opportunities that have drawn people from around the world since the Declaration of Independence was written is something that people read about in textbooks and never comprehend. Voting, football on Sundays, graduations, weddings, anniversaries are things that Americans consider the natural order of life. Many Americans seem oblivious to the fact that there are extraordinarily evil people in the world who will do their utmost to disrupt our way of life, and that the only thing keeping the horrors at bay is a thin line of young men and women who are prepared to sacrifice themselves for our way of life. My grandfathers and uncles served their time in the line and I serve to honor their sacrifices and hope that I will not let them down or disappoint them on my watch.

We do not ask for praise or recognition, thanks, or your pity. We apologize if we make you uncomfortable or uneasy when we are around. We know that we are reminders of a world best not thought about. We ask simply for understanding. People talk about the finest America has to offer and I will tell you that it is not in any classroom or university or athletic program. It is the young faces around me, where throwing 85 pounds of body armor on to go out in 120 degree heat is a normal thing, where air conditioning is a bonus, who are willing to go outside the wire again and again with jokes and a grin on their faces. Who have all seen and experienced events that no person should ever want to see even in a movie or a video game. We are the sentinels, who let you sleep at night because we are on watch, and we will do great harm to anyone who threatens us, our friends, and our way of life. When you are sitting down with your family and friends for Thanksgiving, we will be thinking of you before we saddle up for the next mission, when you tuck your children and grandchildren into bed, we are patrolling down a dusty trash filled street that the world has forgotten about. In that cold hour that is not night or dawn, where evil lurks and it is the killing time, we will be there.

In between deployments, I went to the San Diego Zoo with some friends. As we were leaving, there was a live band playing at the Zoo exit, clustered around the band was a group of families from across America, and the kids, 3,4,5,6 years old were dancing with each other and their parents to the music. The simple innocence and joy in their faces made me cry. That is why I serve.

Capt Eric Larsen, USMC
3/5 Communications Officer
Camp Baharia
Fallujah, Iraq

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A great post, Dave. Well said.

Alot of us do appriciate our men and women in uniform.

Respectfully,

Greg

Posts: 1960 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Thanks for serving Dave.

SMSGT USAF Retired

Wayne Hanley

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
" It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, who gave us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag ." – Father Dennis Edward O’Brien, USMC

Thank you to all who have served and those who continue to fight for our freedoms.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
BRUNTON = MACANGUS = TARREL

IN MEMORY OF MY UNCLE ALEXANDER MACANGUS JR. , HM TRAWLER FLEMING (MINESWEEPER) , MY GRANDMOTHERS BROTHER DONALD (DAN) TARREL ,BOATSWAIN OF SS BARON DECHMONT , MY MOM’S COUSIN DONALD (DAN) MACANGUS , HM
BATTLESHIP ROYAL OAK , ALL LOST IN WW2 , AND MY GRANDFATHER’S BROTHER HUGH MACANGUS , HM TRAWLER DHOON ( MINESWEEPER) WW1 , ALL LOST AT SEA THROUGH ENEMY ACTION. WORDS ALONE CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW
PROUD MY FAMILY AND I ARE OF YOU AND YOUR TREMENDOUS SACRIFICE. WITH A MIXTURE OF TEARS OF BOTH SADNESS AND JOY , WE REMEMBER YOU, SAILORS ONE AND ALL ,CHEATED OF LONG LIVES AND THE PLEASURES OF
GROWING OLD WITH FAMILY. INSTEAD YOU HAVE LEFT A LEGACY OF FREEDOM , DEARLY BOUGHT AND WON ! YOU ARE FOREVER THE GREAT HEROES OF OUR LIVES, ALONG WITH THE OTHER 11 WHO SERVED , AND SOME DAY WE WISH TO THANK YOU ALL IN PERSON. FOR NOW WE OFFER A HUMBLE REMEMBRANCE, AND A TEAR OR TWO AS WE LOOK AT YOUR PHOTOS, ALL OF YOU SO PROUD IN YOUR SAILORS BLUES .
FROM TOM AND SANDY BRUNTON , BONNIE , ANDREW , BLAKE . SETH, & AVERY

Pictured my great uncle Boatswain Donald (Dan) Tarrel ,SS Baron Dechmont, age 50,lost at sea through enemy action

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
MY UNCLE SEAMAN ALEXANDER MACANGUS , AGE 20,
HELMSMAN ON MINESWEEPER FLEMING H2

- LOST AT SEA THROUGH ENEMY ACTION

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
my moms first cousin Seaman Donald (Dan) MacAngus ,Battleship HMS Royal Oak, age 19, lost at sea through enemy action

posted
America will remain the land of the free only as long as it is the home of the brave.
Constantine Varelas Capt. USN retired

Posts: 86 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2012
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
If you see a Veteran today or in the next couple of days please thank him for allowing us to live in a country of the free.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Thank you Veterans. Because of you we live in free nation. THANKS.///////////

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of David Flegel
posted
As we do not have a Canadian version of the club I want to honour our soldiers who also died and served for our freedoms. In particular two serving Canadians who were killed in the last month by cowards claiming to act for the Islamic State. The first Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who was mowed down by an automobile while in uniform and out walking, with other military. The second Corporal Nathan Cirillo, who was shot in the back while standing honour guard at our National War Memorial in Ottawa. These deaths touched the hearts of millions of Canadians from cost to coast.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
We honor their memory as well, David.

HIGH regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1808
Picture of Philip A. Long
posted
G'Day Friends,

From Australia, we are proud to Serve alongside the personnel from USA, Canada, UK and all other freedom loving nations. Those people who are prepared to give their tomorrows for the good of all. May I share the photo of my great uncle who served in WWI and gave his life at age 23.

Phil

Pte Thorold Toll

Posts: 75 | Location: Sydney in Australia | Registered: February 10, 2013
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
one of my all time favorite songs is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda", by Liam Clancy on You Tube,a beautiful song of the terrible Aussie losses at Suvla Bay,Gallipoli,& I salute their heroism and unfaltering bravery !!!

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Here's the Liam Clancy version, which is my favorite version too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

And another awesome tribute song by Liam, called "Green Fields of France" (a/k/a "Willie McBride")

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
my grandfather served on a British Battleship at the battle of the Dardanelles at Gallipoli in WW1 !!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Putting it simply,
Those people are the reason we still speak English or the language of our choice.
If it were not for the Veterans Administration Hospital I would have been dead four times over.
Patient 0699
Patrick Wallin
USA
6th Army, 1961 - 1968
South Vietnam

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
@Patrick Wallin,
to you my most heartfelt Salute,soldier !!! Wink