Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A WRISTWATCH ISSUED FOR LUFTWAFFE WOMEN? "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The first tip that this could be a military issue watch was the German writing on the dial combined with the solid strap lugs - and the fact that it is German made during the WWII period. Nearly every timepiece made during WWII in Germany was made for the German war effort. The real clincher was turning it over and finding the RLM marking on the back. This marking stands for Reichs Luftfartministerium. Or Government Air Ministry. RLM is a marking encountered on timepieces and other equipment approved for the Luftwaffe, or air force. A question involves the small size of this watch. This watch is around 28mm, instead of the more common 33mm outside case diameter found on other German military wristwatches of WWII.

The answer appears to be in the excellent book, MILITARY TIMEPIECES 150 YEARS OF WATCHES AND CLOCKS OF GERMAN FORCES by Konrad Knirim. The first clue is that the Wagner firm supplied a large number of service watches to the German Govt. during WWII. Although no watch exactly fitting the description of this watch is found, Mr. Knirim does have pictures of other 28mm Army issue wristwatches with all-black dials and “D...H” markings. These are identified as issued to women in the German Army. Applying this information to the watch pictured, I presume it is was made for issue to women in the German Air Force, the Luftwaffe. Many women served in communications and as nurses which would require them to have a watch.

But was Germany the only WWII power to purchase watches specifically for women?

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Here is a picture of the snap on back with the RLM marking.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The inner movement holder was is cut in a coil-like form which appears to have been done to keep the movement from rattling in the case. I suppose it would also provide some shock proofing if the watch was dropped dial-up.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As with the standard service wristwatches issued by the German Army, this RLM wristwatch has a 15 jewel movement equipped with shock resistant cap jewels.

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Geg,

Great piece of research and information. I learn something new here everyday. I am going to tuck this one away in my mental archive.
I know I will get to use it one day, LOL

Great job

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004