Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WWI era Birch & Gaydon "Q" pocket alarm watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all,

This is a recent acquisition and I have a few questions as always if anyone can help:

The brand name of “Birch & Gaydon”, can anyone give me more information regarding this company. I know a Zenith movement was used for this piece but have no serial number on it for dating purposes. I am guessing WWI 1915-ish. Is it common for a manufacturer like Zenith to sell movements without serial numbers to a company like Birch & Gaydon during this time? Maybe the serial number is hidden under the "gong rod" near the balance wheel? Sorry for the lack of technical or correct names for movement pieces.
There is a reference to this watch in Ziggy Weslowski’s book “Military Timepeices 1880-1990" page 28 for a little more- not much.

This watch was refereed to as the “Q” pocket alarm watch. Anyone know what the “Q” stands for?

Also, this may sound strange to you all, but I would like to have the proper instructions on how to operate all functions before I start to “man-handle” this watch. Can anyone can help?

Also I have posted a link to another topic started by Chris Abell on a similar movement/dial project he has started for more information. I will post a few pictures and one also of an old ad I found by a quick Google search for this watch. If anyone can manage to make the ad larger for all to read that would be great as I can not seem to get it any bigger. I will take any opinions and comments and assistance with this piece and any more information regarding Birch & Gaydon.. Thank you all.

Chris Abell's IHC 185 similar topic post

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1550
posted
Period Birch & Gaydon ad found. Sorry for its small size. (wish I were the owner of the wristwatch too!)

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
If you really want one, I would consider selling you mine (although it is one of my favorites), since I now only collect pocket watches. Contact me directly at ethanlipsig@paulhastings.com.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Michael, I´ve just expanded you Ad, but as you can see it gets very unclear!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Thank you Werner for the attempt. I see the ad you posted above is dated April of 1917. I wonder if the ads and watches depicted are of the relative time period as my ad. Your ad shows a white dialed watch which may be the same as Chris Abell's posted thread.

Any idea on the proper operating procedures on this piece?
All my best, M

IHC Member 1550
posted
If there are any interested members or guests that wish to know the operating instructions for this watch here it is:

The main spring barrel that powers the watch and second spring barrel that powers the alarm are wound by the same crown. Wind the crown clockwise to power the main spring and counter-clockwise to wind the second spring barrel which powers the alarm. The nail pin at the “11” position is depressed while turning the crown clockwise or counter-clockwise to set the main hands for timekeeping. The nail pin at the “1” position is depressed while turning the crown counter-clockwise to set the alarm. In the “12” o’clock sub dial, which is marked in 15 min increments, the hand will turn counter-clockwise until the desired time for the awakening chime is reached. After elapsed time and the set alarm time are reached the second spring barrel will automatically release and the alarm will chime until the second spring barrel has exhausted all its power reserve (about 25 seconds) and stop. The alarm can only be set to chime less than 12 hours in advance as the watch does not run in AM and PM cycles. The second spring barrel must be wound again for the alarm to chime for the next scheduled awakening. The main spring barrel works independently and can keep time without the alarm and chime in operation.

Hope this may help anyone who wishes to know or may own a Zenith alarm pocket watch in this style in the future. M

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The "Stevel wristlet" is an interesting inovation. "Permits watch to be turned over and worn face downward, thus doing away with dial protectors."

I think I have an example of this watch band.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 1550
posted
Greetings all,

Here is another example of the WWI era Zenith military pocket alarm watch. This example bears no dial markings other than the Zenith brand name. It is up for auction on eBay if anyone has an interest. Looks like it needs a good servicing. I have attatched a link and photo.

eBay link here for Zenith Pocket alarm

posted
I can not see any military markings on any of these examples and the advertisements seem to be civilian ads with a reference that a military person might find one useful. I do like the look of them, though and I would imagine that they did successfully marketed them to both soldiers who were not issued a military timepiece and civilians. I did smile a bit, though, by the reference the owner using it by their bed side to help them wake up in the morning as I would imagine Great War soldiers would be laughing about the idea of having a nice cozy bed in which to be sleep every night and to need to rely on a pocket watch alarm to wake them up in the morning instead of reveille or your ever so nice and gentle sergeant who provides those pleasant wake up calls. Smile

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Yes these pocket alarms by Zenith were never military issue but were advertised to appeal to the soldier. I also doubt the "average" soldier could afford to purchase one. Maybe the only military personell that could afford them did have cozy beds. Frown

IHC Member 1550
posted
If anyone has interest, there is one example of the Birch & Gaydon being offered now on eBay. Link below. Seller's discription could be better. Regards. M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180713...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

IHC Member 1550
posted
Greetings all,

Prepare yourselves for one of the worst travesties imaginable. Here we have a seller on eBay that has been using his example of the Zenith pocket alarm as a wristwatch. He is asking quite the hefty price as well. I hope no one falls for his charade. I will attatch a photo if one dares to look. Regards, M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250897...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

posted
And you get 'economy' shipping within the US for only $19 or $36 to European countries. What a deal! Well, at least he is not claiming that it was captured from aliens who tried to interfere in the war until his great grandfather personally shot down their mother ship in a dog fight with his Spad and recovered this from the wreckage. Big Grin

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Jim,

What you explained above actually happened to this guy I knew. No..no..sorry, actually I think it was his friend’s cousin’s roommate’s great uncle who served once.......I think.

At least this guy didn’t solder lugs onto that wonderful pocket watch like we see so often.