Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ulysse Nardin Corps of Engineers pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Here are some photos of my U.S. Army Corps of Engineers watch...

Hope you all enjoyed the Sunday morning photos! Photographing watches is not easy but I find photographing very shiny watches the most challenging of all.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
That is a really nice WW I era pocket watch James. Your photography is great. Do you think you could add one more photo with a closeup of the marking on the movement inside? Thanks!

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
James, great photos. How do you include more than one photo in a single message? I have always been frustrated by that, and have had to post a separate message for each photo.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
When you are in the little box where you draft your posting, click on the little green and white picture icon at the top and type in your image URL, then hit return once or twice to make a little separation, and then click on the photo icon and enter your next URL and keep repeating this process.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Well, that did not work. The problem for me is figuring out where to post pictures on the internet so that I have usable URLs. The method I tried got me a URL, but it wasn't a workable one. Here is the Nardin.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
And the back of the watch, since I am still being forced to send separate messages with each photo.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the movement, to show that it is a Nardin (the case back is signed by Nardin as well).

posted
There are a number of free photo hosting websites out there. The one I use is www.photobucket.com I have no connection with the website, but I find it really simple to use, uploads are fast, and it automatically gives you a number of different formatting's of the photo's URL to chose from depending on what the needs of a given. Give it a try.

And I really, really like your pocket watch!

IHC Life Member
posted
Jim,

I will try to see if I can get a macro of the emblem. It will be tricky due to the inner dust cover and caseback not opening up beyond 90 degrees, so limiting the placement of the lens but I'll try some more.

Ethan,

Great looking watch! My wife sort of (she points and I buy) collects shiny Tiffany objects. Maybe I need to reverse the roles for once... Big Grin

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
James, nice watch you have there, I´ve also just got mine, it´s away to be serviced and cleaned at the moment, also to replace the bow which is wrong, but here are the pictures of it in the present state!

Best Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 478
posted
Hallo friends,
in my book on British Military Timepieces a have an appendix of only 8 pages on US watches and clocks as exemples, as there was much support from the US to Britain in WWI and WWII.
I tried to show all pocket watches of the US Corps of Engineers of WWI for the Expeditionary Forces in France, that I could find. Sorry only a few of my own collection!
=> It is very interesting, only Zenith did supply one type of watch, while Ulysse Nardin and Vacheron & Constantin used a bunch of Swiss movements to meet the orders. V&C supplied a chronograph too. UN did also use several of IWCs different movements.
. Gruesse/Regards/Salute Konrad Knirim
PS: Have a look at my books on Military Timepieces:
. http://www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005