• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A deck clock from the HMS Intrepid "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This clock is certificated to be from the HMS Intrepid, a Ship that fought during the Falkland war. It is very interesting. Isn't it?
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAP...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

posted
Looks like some body got a good deal on that clock.Just before the Falklands war started I was on active duty our ship the USS Proteus AS-19 a sub tender.

We were in Diego Garcia and we tended the HMS Sheffield well a week later it was heading for the Falklands.It was not so lucky it was struck by a missle and I felt for the crew of that ship.You made me think about that when you said it was on a ship that fought in the Falklands war.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
It's sad.
I was only 10, so I don't know very much about the Malvine/Falkland war.
I think you must feel proud to have been part of history.

Yes: a good deal. Big Grin
It comes with certificate of authenticity and provenance from Leavesley, the ship breaker at Liverpool who had/have the Intrepid.
It is battery operated, it mounts a fine quartz movement and it has four red bulbs for illumination.
Anyway full of history!

posted
This clock was made in the '60s, but the movement is the same that was later mounted on the wood boxed chronometers of the Royal Navy of the '80s generation...
Both quite difficult to be found.

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/standa.../66/030/00000100.pdf

posted
Claudio
See on the back of clock there is some type of outlet were you plug wire's in think this could be a master clock that controled the rest of the clocks on ship just a guess.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
I like your clock very much! It is a real piece of history. I was not in the Falklands war, but I remember it vividly through the newspaper and television stories that were happening every day. It was one of the first wars that was so heavily covered every day with videos of actions that were happening the same day.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Congratulations Claudio on obtaining such a timepiece with all its history. I do believe I saw that one myself on ebay, could it be so? and if so I´m glad its in your hands now.
all the best to you!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Yes, you're right once again: it's the same clock you watched on ebay.

IHC Member 478
posted
Hallo Cklaudio and friends
this clock is part of the VCS Versatile Control System of the Royal Navy, this is the instrumentation of the RN vessels bridge sytem.
I own the same clock but mine is mechanical NSN 6645-99-527-7115! I show this with a document view on the VCS in my book British Military Timepieces on page 157 (I am not at home to add photos).
My clock runs a bit fast but my watchmaker sees himself unable to dismantle and open the clock from the casing and electrical contact arrangements.
Greetings Konrad Knirim on Naxos/Greece
www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005