• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines WWII era? Chronometer on EBAY "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone have any ideas, comments, or info about EBAY iterm 320694140695 "Longines Chronometer...WWII era "c.1942 -43?. I've never seen it before.

Thanks in advance
Mason

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Walter, it looks very much like my navigation master deck watch, only gimbaled...

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Mason,

I guess I'm quite the purist, but I'd refrain from classifying this item a marine chronometer, as it doesn't have a detached escapement. I'd be more inclined to call it a gimballed deck watch more than a marine chronometer.

It still is a nice piece, might need some work on getting the box back into shape and perhaps some brass work done (if you choose to clean it up).

Michael

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
Thanks, all.

I don't have an example with 24 hour military time markings; how would you rate this deck watch (workmanship quality wise or rarity)compared to other WWII era deck watches? I have a Hamilton gimbeled Model 22, is this longenes example comparable?

Mason

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
I am not an expert on these so I can not tell you much about this particular example and whether everything is correct on it, but I can tell you that it is definitely not a deck watch or a marine chronometer. The marking on the movement is U.S. Army A.C and that stands for United States Army Air Corps which is the name for what later became the Air Force. These kinds of watches were used as reference timepieces when setting the clocks in aircraft so they would all be set at the same time for a mission.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
quote:

Jim I know full well that mine isn´t a deck watch, it was for navigators on aircraft...
Its the ebay watch Longines Deck Watch Walter is talking about!

posted
Jim,

Werner is correct, I was about to put a correcting post up when I saw his. His watch looks almost the same, but is not gimbaled and has the Army A.C. markings. The EBAY item does not have any military ID marks I can see other than the 24 hour dial and being gimbaled I suspect was for shipboard use; although it's possible Gimbaled watches could have been used on the navigation stations of aircraft; I just haven't noticed any.

posted
Thank you Werner and Walter for clearing up my confusion on the photos. I took a look at the Ebay auction and that watch puzzles me in that there are no military markings on the case or on the movement. Militaries are quite careful to mark these things as they are small and valuable and their markings are essential for their inventory control. My first thought is that this may have been made and sold for civilian use?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
well the put-together went for US $2.120,00 and the guy now has another gimballed Longines on offer. On the bottom of the brass bowl, there is a number 615, nowhere on the whole watch is that number repeated!!! Longines

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
These type of watches are often marked "chronometer" and rightly so. They represent the very highest standard of finish and workmanship available at the time. Nice example Werner! Here are a few other straight line Swiss lever movements that are of similar grade. Those Swiss just didn't mess around!

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
how very lovely William ,I can but wish they were mine-sigh !!!! Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
they don´t get better than that, do they? A feast for my weary eyes...