Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR (era) WATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A closeup look at the snap-hooks and screw-clasps for attaching watches to the above watch chains.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
At one point I wondered if pocket watch chain snap-hooks were used during the Civil War era. But then another collector pointed out that it is well documented that larger snap hooks were used to attach straps to swords at that time. So, if big ones were available, I suppose the small ones must have also been in use. This image is of an M1860 U.S. Cavalry saber with an officer’s snap-hook attached to one of the scabbard rings. As the other collector mentioned, it does look like an oversized pocket watch snap-hook.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A sure-fire way to know if your watch is of Civil War vintage is by the serial numbers. That is, if you have an early Howard or an American Watch Co. (Waltham) product.

Here are two common American Watch Company watches, both of Civil War vintage. Both of them have the M1857 movement.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The Wm. Ellery was a slightly lower grade watch than the P.S. Bartlett. The most notable difference is that the Ellery dial does not have the American Watch Co. name on it. Also, the Ellery M1857 movement does not have some of superficial refinements of the Bartlett - such as jewel setting screws and an index plate attached to the movement.

The Wm. Ellery in this image was made in 1861, and the P.S. Bartlett was made in 1864. Both watches have 11 jewels.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Going back to Swiss watches, here is an engraving of an American eagle on a hunter case. This watch has a bar movement similar to the first watch pictured. The dial is ordinary porcalain. The covet is engraved: "Lutz Brothers Locle Detached Lever 13 Jewels".

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This open faced watch has an American shield engraved on the silver dial. It has a Swiss bar movement. The covet is marked: “Detached Lever 13 Jewels M.J. Tobias, Liverpool. The case appears to be low carrot gold. It is marked on the inside of the back outer cover with a rather small eagle below the initials: NB&Co.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Unlike the last two watches, the engraving on this watch is nationality neutral. Within this navy coat of arms it’s possible to see angular socket bayonets, a boarding axe, spears, flags, an anchor, cannon, masts and so forth. This watch has a gold hunting case and a Swiss bar movement. The covet is marked: Patent Lever Full Jeweled Arnold Adams & Co. London.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Greg, thanks for resurrecting this thread, it was very interesting!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I should add that some of the watches dug up from C.W. battlefields have been of the Swiss bar type with cylinder escapements marked, "4 holes jeweled" and "Tobias." These watches had no connection to the real Tobias who was then a famous Liverpool watchmaker, and thus a target of forgery.

posted
Very nice collection of CW items. I am an avid student of CW artifacts, and I appreciate your explanation of these interesting tidbits of info that I probably never would have found out. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 100 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2013