WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I am New here and I bought my first Chelsea this week "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Good evening, I thought I would say hello and ask my first of what I am sure will be many questions regarding my Chelsea.

I bought a pre WW II Mark 1 Boat clock, "Nickel plated Brass" was shipped to the Dept of the Navy from Chelsea 25 Nov 1941.It has the original movement, and Back plate as well.
My question is did these Pre WW II Boat clock's come with a wood case? something similar to the Army message center box that Chelsea produced? I understand stand my clock is pretty rare, not a whole lot made compared to the other styles.

Any help or information about Box or the Boat clock would be most helpful and greatly appreciated. I am not a collector "yet" and this is my first clock I have ever purchased. I will say I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Best Regards,

Tim

Posts: 6 | Location: Macon, Georgia in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Tim, and Welcome to IHC185, the most Friendly and Information gathering place in the world of Horology....

Sounds like the 'Collecting Bug' has bitten you.... Razz as it has all of us....

I am not a Military Expert but we do have many among us that are and I'm sure one will be by soon to help with your question....

In the meantime you may want to consider joining us as a full fledged member....it is very easy and inexpensive, only $12.00 a year and that allows you to have full access to our site, including the 'Members only Watch & Clock Auction' where you can see other item's being offered for sale by our members only....

Here's a link for your convenience....

Join & Support IHC185

Hurry back to visit with us....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
There are others here who know more about WW II era ship clocks, but based on the frequency I see the Chelsea Mark 1 Boat Clocks on Ebay I think that I might not use the term rare with them. Certainly they are not found on every street corner but from what I see I might be more quick to use the term rare with WW I and pre-WWI Mark 1 Boat Clocks. They are really nice clocks.

As for whether they are found with wooden boxes I have not seen any that way and I was under the impression that they were made to be mounted on a wall or panel on a ship rather than carried around in a box like a chronometer. I am sure they must have been shipped from the factory to the Navy in some kind of protective material though.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
I use Rare becuse there are not many at all come up, its a "Boat" clock 3 1/2, not a "deck" clock which is the most common WWII clock that are on Ebay all the time. I will post a pic shortly when i get it back from the cleaners.

posted
The "Boat Clocks" with Backing plate were made for PT Boats or life boats, not everyday ships use. This is what I was told from a Certified Chelsea Maint tech thats is cleaning it up for me. But you guys know more than I, but there is a diff between Boat and Deck as far as what they wereused for on what type of craft, and of course, its Brass, nickle not Backlight.

posted
Yes the bug has caught me. LOL another addiction I must feed. I will join I am sure this week. Thank you.
Tim

posted
Boat clocks were used on many different kinds of Navy vessels for a great many years, but the production really ramped up before and during WW II. It is romantic to think about a clock being used on a PT boat, but given the relatively small number of PT boats compared to the large number of surviving boat clocks I think that the chances of any particular boat clock having been used on a PT boat are not large.

From what I have seen over the years is the hardest to find Boat Clocks are the very early ones from before WW I and during WW I.

Other hard to find U.S. ship's clocks are the radio room ones with the painted wedges on the dials (reproductions of these - real period ship's clocks but with recently painted or replaced dials - are common but the real ones seem to be hard to find) and clocks marked "Marines" are also not so common relative to the various kinds of clocks with Navy markings.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Tim and welcome aboard.

As always, Jim Hester has provided solid information.

If you intend to collect, there is a book: MILITARY TIMEPIECES by Whitney (out of print) which contains some additional information not only about Chelsea, but also other U.S. military clocks, watches, timers and etc. Unfortunately, a quick review of the book did not find data regarding the number of Mark I Boat Clocks made by Chelsea in WWII. For your information, Seth Thomas also made the U.S. Navy Mark I Boat Clock in 1941. Both makers used heavy, nickle plated metal cases early in WWII as well as black plastic cases later in the war.

Ship and boat clocks are interesting and highly sought after by collectors. You have started your collection with a good one.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks Guys, All of this is new and very interesting. Have a great weeknd all.

Tim

posted
Hi All,

Immediately prior to America's entry into WW2, Seth Thomas and Chelsea manufactured these heavy (HEAVY!) chrome (or nickel?) plated brass beauties.

The clock-only portions of these clocks are easily found on eBay. It is more difficult to find ones like these, with the complete bulkhead mounting system with shock absorbing dense foam and springs.

I'm trying to collect the equivalent set in black phenolic, but a complete Seth Thomas DECK clock still eludes me.

I'm real partial to the U.S.Navy, as my Father was one of five brothers who all served in the USN during WW2. They all came back.
-My Dad still survives, as does another 91+ year old uncle who was based at Pearl on 07Dec41.

Ron

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Those are real nice Deck Clocks, Ronald, Thanks for showing them....

I, too, am partial to the Navy since I was in the Navy during 'Nam' and my father was 'Navy' also during WWII....

I am not a collector of Military clocks or watches but I love to see them all....I remember seeing those clocks on the ships that I served on....

God Bless your Dad and his brothers for their service to our Country....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008