• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about a Hamilton 21 Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anyone seen a Hamilton 21 marine chronometer boxed like this. It can only pivot on one axis. I do not think that it is a home made setup, but it is a little strange.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Side

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
back

posted
top view

posted
Movement with "corking" mechanism. Not all of these movements had this piece that screws down over th balance wheel to secure it in tranport.

posted
Greetings,

As for your specific question about whether this was an original box. I'm going to have to say that the answer would be no in this case. Hamilton had two basic boxes which were used. One was a box from Regent Speciality Corporation and the other was from Seth Thomas as the supplier. Both makers made boxes to the specifications as defined by Hamilton directly. The first boxes (from N1 to N337) were different than those that followed. I have both models (N41 and a much later post WWII model) and the differences are somewhat subtle, although I prefer the pre-338 boxes. These had keys, different handles, different box construction, different hardware, all in all a much nicer box than what was used later. The post 338 boxes were all essentially the same, although there were some tweaks along the way, but nothing that you would readily notice.

Getting back to your specimen, I'm not sure where this came from, but can attest that this is not the original box. I, like yourself, do not believe that this is "homemade" due to the precision of the gimbal work, although it could be the work of a talented metal smith.

I don't know of any maker that would not fully gimbal their marine chronometers on all four corners, as the precision of this instrument relies upon proper handling. With that being said, if you look at the leather strap, if you were to hold the case by this hanle the movement of the chronometer would be vertical rather than the preferred horizontal. Handling it in this manner would surely cause harm to the mechanism and degrade it's performance.

With this being said, I have to think that this box was used for some other purpose and then later adapted to fit the chronometer as you have it.

Here are some things to think about with respect to this box.

- Hamilton nameplate - looks very recent, not in line with the appxoimate age of the box
- top lid and viewing lid - both have nice edge work to create the artifical lip.
- leather strap - see above comment on this
- handles - appear to have been added later
- gimbal locking mechanism - almost appears to be from an old English chronometer box
- hinges - bottom hinges are replacement hinges, most likely a repair at some point (note that they are not flush)
- rubber feet - much later addition.
- latches - don't appear to be installed in line with each other (this may be the photo perspective) but in any case, these would make it hard to open as the opening points face each other directly. These were fitted later, as you can see older holes which were used for some type of other fitting prior to these latches. Although these older missing fittings would not have been typical chronometer fittings for the closing mechanism, as typical chronometer closing mechanisms would be recessed
- lack of brass corners and corner strapping. These were used to maintain the structural integrity of the box itself and aided in prevented warping. These are notably missing here, which furthers my conjecture that this box was used for something else and then later converted to its current use. Take note of the worn down corners and warping of the tops.
- I'm wondering what the step is in the thickness of the back panel on this box, normally it is without step. Maybe this had something to do with the original purpose?
- key - I can't be sure as I can't see it straight on, but the key does not look correct for the chronometer, key looks English. I would have also expected a holder for the tool which locks the balance wheel via the arm.

Having said all of this, I wouldn't change it, it is unique and has some interesting qualities. My theory is that at some point when this was put together, whoever did it, did it to find a home for this fine chronometer which most likely was just stored in the shipping container (which would account for the lack of the box, key and locking tool) and they simply wanted to display it.

Is it a correct specimen? No, but neither is the Hamilton Model 21 hold by the Smithsonian, which was "N1". It has been placed in a later box from what it was originally supplied with. We must cherish our collection and be responsible stewards, as they are ours only for a time and our job as collectors is to preserve them the way that we found them. So go forth and enjoy this unique specimen...., no sense on dwelling on the past.

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
Michael, thank you for your detailed response. I am going to the Eastern State Regional in Syracuse this weekend and will be bringing the chronometer with me. If I get any other info on it, I will post it here.

posted
Michael, I took this piece to the Eastern States Regional in Syracuse lase weekend and three people said that they had seen a model 21 set up like this before. No one was sure that it was done by Hamilton, but it was made up for some specific purpose. One man said that he thought that he might have taken pictures of it, so I am waiting to see if I here back from him.

posted
Ken, that is great, sure look forward to seeing additional pics and information on why it was boxed like this and by whom.

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009