Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Grade 562 WWII Aircraft Clock (A11?) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

I would like a little info on the mechanism of this clock. It has a extra small plate on the top of the main plate of the movement which contains a gog driven by a train wheel from the movement below. There is also a spring loop coming from this little plate. Is this loop to keep the train wheel in place? Is this train wheel just a friction fit on the pivot? It looks much like the hack movement of a Hamilton 4992B pw. Are there diagrams of the parts of these clocks? It has the following details on the back:
Contract 77254,
F.S.S.C. No 88.C.580,
Mfrs part no 1759.

I can post pics if required.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Yes!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The best place to check is MILITARY TIMEPIECES by Marvin E. Whitney.

The Elgin Grade 562 was used in aircraft and tank clocks.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Folks

As promised some photos of the A11.

I have included 3 sets:

My Elgin 562, the face and two movement pics;

Another 562, the same model, the face and movement;

The square version 562, a later version, the face and mvt.

What I need to know is what holds the centre seconds drive gear in place. Is it held by friction on the 4th gear pinion or is it the strip of spring steel you note on my Elgin sticking out of the top plate and covering the edge of the cs drive gear.

You will note that the other 562 in the round case shows no sign of this strip and the square cased movement shows a spring arrangement over the cs drive gear hub.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com
/3067/3037362319_7d65a1a3fd.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Hi Folks

My second movement image didn't come across. Here it is.

Gordon

posted
Hopefully my movement #2.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
If it's like similar watches I have worked on, I would suppose the wheel is held in place by friction. It takes a special tool to pull these wheels off without damage.

The only reason I know of for a spring to be involved in center seconds work is to avoid backlash. That being said, I have not seen them all.

Good pics. Excellent movements. Any chance some of these might be tank clocks?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply.

Why I was asking what held the cs drive gear on was because I found mine had fallen off in the case.

My movement came from a Chance Vought Corsair F4U1 in the Solomon Islands. As far as I know the others were also aircraft clocks.

Regards

Gordon

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Gordon

I don't know if you have looked but on Ebay there are manuals for sale that cover the repair of the A-11.

I don't know if they are any good or not, just was looking around.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom

Thanks for the suggestion. I have noticed them from time to time. I will keep a watch. Excuse the pun.

Gordon