Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992B hairspring inquiry "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I haven't stumbled across this before, and was wondering....with the war years going on during WW2, did Hamilton still have the Elivar hairspring installed in the 4992B's during war production, considering the difficulty in accessing materials during the war...or were they one of the receivers OF that war material so they COULD continue to make and install the Elivar hairspring in the 4992B?

Just a random question that rattled through my brain this morning.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mark,

I think it is fair to say that every 4992B as well as each of the various other movements derived from the 992B project started out with the same style of "Elinvar Extra" hairspring. Although the formula to make these hairsprings was extremely complicated and involved using small amounts of what were then classified as strategic materials, they were also vital to the war effort.

More than once I have pondered the huge effect these timekeepers had on the final outcome.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you, Lindell. I, too, have often wondered about that, and suspected with the amount of electronic gear that these watches had to function beside, they HAD to have that type hairspring...but to date do not recall ever reading anything about it..

I appreciate the response.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Actually the 59% iron, 36% nickel, 5% chromium nonmagnetic and corrosion resistant Elinvar material was pretty easy to make and was also used widely (without the Chromium) as "Invar" and "Kovar" for Glass to metal sealing leads coming out of Radio Tubes. I know because I used it for its inherent stability on some of my "inventions".

The "Special" formulation with Chromium added that Hamilton used was (reportedly) made by Hamilton to their own spec's. Ten (10) pounds of finished spring was probably enough for the entire "War Effort".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Interesting! Thanks David! Smile

Regard !Mark

posted
I understand that Hamilton developed and probably patented the "Elvinar" hairspring.

Did Hamilton license the "Elvinar" hairspring to other watch manufacturers?

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008