• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Killer deal for you on a Beautiful Marine Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Thanks Dave. This latest chronometer went to a gentleman in Germany for $700. What a deal!!
Thank you for posting that photo of Sabina and her beautiful family.
In her correspondence she appears to be a genuinely good person. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
I just received my Kirov chronometer from Sabina today.

Her packing is nothing short of fabulous, right up to and including corking the mechanism.

I took the "cork" out, wound it, gave it a twist, and it started right up. Time will tell (pun intended) how accurate it is, but at first blush, it certainly appears to be a great way to obtain an attractive marine chronometer at a fraction of the price of a Hamilton.

When the package came, my wife rolled her eyes, and asked how much it cost. I answered "A little more than $2000 [pause]," and she was about to explode, when I continued "less than my Hamilton." Even she laughed at that.

Posts: 18 | Location: Redmond, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 03, 2009
posted
The gentleman in Germany was .. no not me but a friend of mine! He is happy like a child meeting 'Santa'.
The chronometer arrived on friday in good condition. After a minor problem was solved(a tiny piece of thread blocked the train) the watch is on a tough race with a quartz timer.
So Sabina has got new friends in germany!

Highly recommended by

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I just wanted to post a cautionary addendum to this thread.

I bought one of Sabina's Soviet chronometers. As noted in my previous post, it arrived beautifully packed, in fine condition.

But it also ran quite fast for a chronometer (+7 seconds a day; my Hamiltons are a half second a day or less); and within a few days, it started running very, very fast, like a half hour a day.

I sent it in to a reputable chronometer doctor (Historic Timekeepers; Dewey Clark), who said that there were several problems, principally that the old (it's a 1972 clock) oil was horrible. It also, in his opinion after getting into it, needed a new mainspring.

I received it back yesterday, fully overhauled, and it's now keeping very good time, and makes a handsome addition to the chronometer collection. And it has a wonderfully distinctive ticking.

I'm not in any way meaning to impugn Sabina, who is merely sending on the clocks in the condition she gets them. But it might be worth, if you're planning to run the clock and care about its accuracy, considering that a major service might be in its immediate future, since it's probably been sitting unused for quite a time.

The price is still a good price, but mine cost an extra $400 for the service, about half again what I paid Sabina for the clock and shipping.

Posts: 18 | Location: Redmond, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 03, 2009
posted
I just bought one from her as well. It was an unused Kirova. So far, so good, the communication has been quite good, I can't wait to get this in my hands, although the wife might make me put it under the tree as her gift to me, especially considering I bought two of these things already this fall.

I'm excited about the new one, not sure if I'll wind it or just display it. A real treasure.

Michael

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Those are nice looking Chronometers what is her Ebay name as the links have dried up.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Thanks I wonder what custom taxes are on these. I never bought anything overseas.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
NO Cusoms. She just hooked me up to a guy who has another of these. Also, remember, these were ussian Navy Navigation pieces and are taken from the ships after decomissioning and then end up on the "open market"

The pic below is the latest advised to me last week by Sabina, but it is in the hands of a third party who e-mailed me. We have to contact him directly.

I showed ths pic to Vladimir and he told me according to the name on the dial, this was a Top Grade Kirov model made in the 1950 - 1955 time frame and was probably for a submarine officer as it shows little sign of "maritime" use.

Anybody interested send me an e-mail. david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David, who is this Vladimir you speak of? Can he possibly date the following chronometer (at least roughtly)?

Based upon the information that I have it is a Kirova as well as matches yours.

Michael

Chronometer

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Yours is slightly earlier, 1950 - 1952. The importance is that under Stalin, the Kirov name had to be "masked" somewhat, earlier and later runs were differently marked. Mine is a litle earlier and has the same signatures but is not marked on the seconds chapter.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David, I'm a little confused about the dating of these clocks. Kirova didn't start making marine chronometers until well after WWII, according to all I've read. Assuming they numbered them serially, it seems unlikely, to say the least, that they would have reached 25512 by 1951 or so.

Tony Mercer dates number 11278 to 1966, FWIW. Mine is number 20xxx, with all the same markings as the one you're dating to the early fifties, and I had the idea (perhaps from Sabina) that it was from 1972).

Can you shed some light on my confusion?

Thanks.

posted
Mark,

You might be right. I have not received my chronomoter from Sabina yet, so I can say for certain. However, when I blew up the picture which had the papers, it appears that the date might be 1976 from the factory, which would seem to make sense to me. I can't really be sure and Sabina has not come back to me today with additional information that I requested.

I'll be sure to post this back once I actually recieve the chronometer.

posted
Michael, my (apparently original) rating certificate is dated Christmas day, 1972.

posted
David, what is the difference, if any in the Kirova, v. Poljot? I am new at the Russian Chronometers, and have a very limited knowledge on the subject. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, AL

Big AL

Posts: 10 | Location: Pensacola, Florida in the USA | Registered: November 30, 2009
posted
As some may be aware, I did order a completely unused Kirova from Sabina back in November last year.

It was shipped in two packages, one with the movement which was sent via EMS and the other just normal Russian mail which contained the boxes, gimbals, and paperwork.

It took three weeks to get the movement via EMS, which was long enough IMHO. It's now been about three months to receive the actual boxes. I had all but given up hope on ever receiving the boxes. In fact, I had procured another Kirova to replace this one which I was going to sell without the boxes.

Lo and behold, just got notification from the USPS that the box had finally arrived and is ready for pickup at the local post office!! Turns out, it took almost six weeks to make it from Vladivostok to Moscow, and the remainder of the time it has been sitting in US Customs in NY.....

I'll be sure to post photos of this as soon I pick this up when the post office opens this morning. I've been in contact with Sabina during this ordeal and she's been the most supportive seller I've ever dealt with. I actually opened a case with the USPS for the lost goods on Monday of this week, maybe that is the bump in karma needed to actually get this delivered. This was before I found out the progression of the package as mentioned above.

As for the chronometer, this was a chronometer that had been in a warehouse in Vladivostok for the last 35 years still in the sealed zinc case that they were originally shipped in. The tub shows no patina and looks as it did when it left the factory (including the setting to 0:00:00, as I've never wound it, its only run during the factory trials).

The movement is just grand, have never seen anything like it in terms of perfection. I'll soon know about the other parts (boxes/gimbals). I was able to snatch this up from Sabina a few moments after finding out about it, as it was a truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to add to my marine chronometer collection. I even purchased this without informing my social director (spousal unit, or beautiful bride if that suits you better), who later granted her own absolution related to this little transgression related to my horological obsession.

Back to the saga, the one lesson learned is to ensure that shipping is done via EMS or some other suitable courier, the additional cash would be well worth it, both from the perspective of time, but more importantly it'll keep your inner peace. My children will now be able to not hear me say as we drive into the neighborhood, "I wonder if today will be the day".

Maybe there is still a silver lining on all of this. I got an "extra" Kirova out of this, as I wasn't complete without having a Russian marine chronometer in the collection. I don't think I'll be selling it, it just sounds too nice.

posted
From Russia with love...I wish I could call one my own...ooh...sigh...
What did Gorbatschow say "life punishes those who come too late"
How true it turned out to be...for me!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
If you look at the movement you will see a date! My chronometer is number 9761 and bears a date of
3-64.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but I bought four of these from a seller in the state of Washington for $500 each. They came with both boxes and both the movements and boxes were overhauled. If you keep looking, you can but here in the USA for reasonable prices.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
If you like the Russian chronometers, you should pick up one of the Russian deck watches. Together they make a good display!

posted
Movement

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Jerry,
Do you still have the contact details of the seller in Washington State.
I am looking in the usuall places but the prices just seem to be a bit over the top.
Thanks
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
posted
Sorry, I do not have the seller's information. I think the four I bought were the last he had, But I may know of one or two for sale and will keep you posted.