Buying a marine chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Michael: I sent you an email... Smile

Posts: 13 | Location: Molde in Norway | Registered: April 12, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Ole,

You are involved in something extremely unique and valuable to young seamen. We have seen several tall ships visiting our port of San Francisco over the years. The most memorable was the Russian ship Pallada in 2011 but recently, ones from Washington and Hawaii. Such an amazing endeavor!

What is your ship? What flag? Do you ever visit western US ports?

Here's some information on the Pallada: HERE

Happy sailing!

William White

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
There is a wooden boxed - gimbled - waltham deck watch available for $600 on a frequently visited auction site.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Thank you William, that is exactly our opinion as well.

Class A vessels like the Pallada sure are impressive sights with all their sails set. In the Tall Ships Races there are about 30 of these vessels participating. That is a sight to behold... Smile

The vessel I'm sailing on is a smaller Class B vessel. That is a traditionally rigged vessel with an LOA shorter than 40 metres.

The ship is called "Auno", and we are sailing under a Norwegian flag. Western US ports are a bit far for us, so we mostly participate in regattas and other events around Europe.

The website for the "Auno" is:
www.nordvest-fjordservice.no

Mostly in Norwegian, but it has some info about us and what we do.

Ole Morten Aare

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Ole,

Auno is a very beautiful ship. I hope you've been able to find a proper timepiece for it. Good luck!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Thanks William... Smile
No luck yet, but I'm still looking... Smile

IHC Member 2030
posted
This is boat clock if you are looking.
There is a parade of sail every year in Norfolk for harborfest, the best ever was op sail 2012.

Soviet Brass 8-day 5CM-FSWT 1949-made Boat/Submarine Clock w/ 24-hour Navy Dial

Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks Mike, that is indeed a nice 24-hour ships clock.

Unfortunately, they are too inaccurate to use for navigation. That is why I need a proper ships chronometer.

Ole Morten