• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992B case question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This 4992B was on ebay a week or so back, and my high bid didn't meet the reserve. I didn't go higher because the watch's serial number only seems to be scratched on the case back, not engraved like all other 4992Bs I've seen. Has anyone seen something like this?

Thanks,

Norman

4992B back cover

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'm with you Norm,

Anything that deviates from the norm makes me wonder about authenticity.

This is the only one I recall having seen with a hand-scratched serial number appearing on the case. By the way, to avoid confusion in terms, that was a numbering system that did not use the movement number but rather another group of "Serial Numbers" to track military watches.

When faced with something like this I look at known to be correct examples such as this one...

Interesting earlier topic: "U.S. Army Air Corps" Marked Hamilton 4992B

Check this as well: "Find-Or-Search" for "4992B" in this forum

The auction example is looks unusually nice and to my eye shows only minimal wear. But also consider this, the watch in question apparently has a 1960s Ordnance Number and the "Serial Number" having a "43" in it to my mind further complicates the oddly hand-scratched number.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002