Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

LONGINES aircraft - please help me! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan-Catalin Buzdugan
posted
LONGINES aircraft - please help me with some detailed information about: manufacture year, military usage (?), estimated value, ...!
I have only one picture and the movement no. - 6035957!
According "House of Longines", considering the logo mark on the dial can I estimate the production year - 1940 (after July but before 1941)?
Thanks for your answer!
Regards,

Dan-C.
- - - - - -

Posts: 12 | Location: Brasov, Romania in Europe | Registered: October 21, 2007
posted
Hi Dan C.

It does not look like any aircraft clock I have ever seen and it is not one of the many varieties of Longines aircraft clocks or deck clocks illustrated in Whitney. It looks more like a civilian automobile clock, or a travel clock (the kind that was mounted in a small folding case) so you could take it with you when you traveled. Can you find out if there are any markings on the back of the case?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Cool mystery clock.

The bezel has a time-of-trip pointer, which was common on aircarft clocks. As noted by Jim, it would help to see the back. Some Longines aircraft clocks had special mounts.

Longines may still offer a service to check the serial numbers of vintage Longines products. The last time I checked one, they provided me with the year my watch was made and the business it was shipped to.

LONGINES WATCH CO

Let us know what Longines has to say about your clock!

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thank you for your valuable answers. I have already written to Longines in the last weekend and as soon as I have an answer I will let you know.
Unfortunately I do not have another picture with the Longines clock.
Keep in touch!

Dan-Catalin B.

posted
Hello Gentlemen,
I received the answer from Longines which I post it below:
- - - - - - - - -
Dear Mr. Buzdugan,

Thank you for your e-mail as well as for your interest in LONGINES watches.

We have pleasure in giving you below the information we found in our old, hand-written production register regarding your LONGINES watch.
Serial number 6'035'957 is an aircraft watch
It has been invoiced on 11th March 1941 to Messrs. Weissblüht, who were one of our agents in Bucarest.
It is equipped with a movement calibre 19.71N, 16 jewels

Hope this information is convenient to you, and always at your disposal, I remain with my best regards.

- - - - - - - - -
Based on this info I found several similar watches in different locations on the net. You can see them, here and here!
I understood where the supposition that it is a automobile clock came from. Even the movement is at origin for pocket watch it is obliviously an aircraft watch.
In this context exists the speculation on the Romanian Watch Forum that this watch has previously equipped famous Romanian WWII fighter aircrafts - IAR80/81! I myself am not convinced that this info is correct until having a concrete proof. In fact based on a drawing (see picture attached) of IAR80 cockpit we are looking for a Longines watch - type 4331! If anyone can provide such information I will thank you a lot.

Anyway is a subject for 2008 so I would like to wish you all Happy Winter Holiday, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Best regards,

Dan-Catalin BUZDUGAN
Brasov, Romania, Europe
- - - - - - - -

posted
Thanks, Dan-Catalin. I stand corrected and I appreciate learning about this style of aircraft clock. It seems the one in the photo you originally posted is missing its mounting section. Longines used those six bolt mounting sections where other makers used four, except for some Italian makers who used just three.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An interesting find. Through the process of elimination, one might discover that it must have been intended for military or Government service. If there was no private aviation in that area at that time then only the government is left.

In any case, it has to be a rare item. Thank for the update. I hope we hear more about it.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002