Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An ITALIAN - AMERICAN watch fob of 1915 "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This pocket watch fob suggests that Italians in America did not forget the folks back home. As we know, Italy and most of Europe was in the grip of WWI starting in 1914. The United States did not get involved until 1917. For those first three years, many Americans went to fight in the war on one side or the other. Others in the U.S. gave money to support the war effort. I suspect this little fob was given out to Italians in the U.S. in return for financial support for Italy, which was fighting on the side of France, England, etc, against Germany, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, etc.

The back of the fob indicates it was made in New York by a man named Frank DeCaro, or maybe Mr. DeCaro was the artist?

I had no idea Italy called the first wold war the “War of Redemption,” or maybe my translation is off?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The back:

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg,
I collect this type of item -- Italian American memorabilia. Frank DeCaro was a manufacturer of society regalia -- badges, buttons, banners, medals, etc. He was active from the 1890s to about the 1930s, I believe. Another collector/historian has done research on DeCaro's company. I have some items from DeCaro -- very nice colorful Italian American society badges and medals. This fob looks like it was meant to commemorate the war from the aspect of redeeming the extreme northeast part of Italy from Austria-Hungary. A very nice item.
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Gratzia for the info, Pete. I knew someone had to have some info regarding this item.

It is not well known in the U.S., but the extremely cold and high altitude Alpine combat between Italy and the Austro- Hungarian Empire was some of the most dramatic and deadly of WWI. It was hard enough for the men to get up there, but they pulled up cannon and other equipment and then they fought up there in the snow and ice. The Redemption came at a high cost!

Best regards,
Greg

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
SOME TRIVIA: While we are on Italian/Americana; When I got this fob, an old movie came to mind - which movie was it?

Farewell,

Greg

posted
Greg,
I think you gave us a strong hint in your letter, so I won't get up in arms.

About Italian Americans and WWI: There were perhaps 3 to 4 million Italian immigrants in the US when Italy joined the war in 1915. About 90,000 young Italian-born men returned to Italy to enlist in Italy's armed forces. Many of them returned to the US following the war. Also, about 300,000-400,000 Italian Americans served in the US armed forces during World War I. My grandfather's brother, Uncle Mike, was working on a railroad section gang in Chicago with my grandfather and great-grandfather in 1915. He returned to Italy and served in the army until 1919. He came back to the US in 1920; the passenger manifest lists a large number of fellow returnees, and I think Italy paid for their return ticket to the US.
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
hallo,
i have been esitant to step in an historical issue because i must confess that i maybe do not know enough of the past Italian history to be frank, but fortunately Pete is, and he is, and i learnt something more...good! And i realize that our Paesanos across the sea did give quite an help for redeeming part of our country! That fob is very nice! Thanks for having posted, it made me making some good thoughts!
rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Somewhere around here I have picture of Grandfather, who at the age of 15 joined the calvary as a recently arrived immigrant form Bisenti, a small town atop the Abruzzi mountains.

I have a pic of him on a horse with a bugle!

He served in WWI as well.

Italians were not very well thought of during this time period and were heavily discriminated against.

But if you think about, were would be without them (us?) No Armani, no Versace, no pizza or pasta Fagioli, no Chianti.

And remember this.. vendetta is an Italian word..
so don't mess with us...

Smile Big Grin Cool Jeffrey (Rita Dimarios's kid)

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003