• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines Type A-11 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch has been in my family for at least thirty-five years. I am not sure of its history. My grandfather was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. He was an aviation cadet in late 1941 and earned his wings in March 1942. I have tried to find photos of him wearing this watch, but have not been successful. He died in 1988.

The watch was in a box of many watches that belonged to my father who died in 1978.

I recently began researching the watches and found that this one is somewhat rare. It does have some issues. The top crown is missing and appears to have been plugged and possibly filed down. It will not wind. It occasionally runs for a few seconds and then stops.

I'm considering getting it cleaned up and repaired. Is this something I should have done locally or it is best left to an 'expert'? Can the top crown be replaced? Any idea what I should expect to pay to have it serviced?

I will post more photos. I'm having a little difficulty getting a clear shot of the insides.

Posts: 8 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: March 11, 2015
posted
The case back reads:

U.S. Army A.C.
Navigation Hack Watch
Type A-11
Serial Number 40-731
Contract No. W.535 A.C. 14164
Specification No. 27834
Mfr’s Assy. Dwg. No. 1068
Longines-Wittnauer
Watch Co. Inc.
New York

posted
Here's a view of the missing crown.

posted
Longiness Watch Co.
Fifteen 15 Jewels
10L

U.S. Army A.C.

I will post more pictures if anyone wants to see a different angle.

Life Member
posted
Chris
Looks like a Weems. Google that.

Posts: 60 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted
Not only does it look like one, it is one Wink
Some one polished my caseback Frown

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Chris, I suggest you send it to Chris Abell for restoration.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I doubt that Chris Abel would have a locking crown lying around...but I could be wrong Wink

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1736
posted
That is a really nice and interesting watch. Way worth having serviced and restored.

Finding the correct replacement parts is a simple matter of time... ya never know when an old case will show in a scrap lot somewhere.

Considering the job for the upper crown is to secure the bezel ring... one might be able to modify an existing crown/stem and actually make one on a lathe.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Check with the guys over at MWR. Maybe someone can help. broadarrow.net

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005