• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham stopwatch mainspring info wanted "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have acquired a 1944 Waltham stopwatch (16 '43 - TA, Nine Jewels) serial number 32013668.
Although I can find lots of information on-line about Waltham pocket watch parts and repair, there seems to be very little about stopwatches. Does anybody have any links or access to Waltham stopwatch technical information or parts catalogues?
The watch has a broken mainspring. Is the mainspring the same as in a size 16 pocket watch of the same era? It also has one of the reset/flyback springs broken. Any information would be gratefully received.

Posts: 3 | Location: Bristol, United Kingdom | Registered: April 05, 2007
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Simon,

Welcome to IHC185. I have checked my limited resources regarding WWII vintage Waltham timers, but the size of the mainspring is not listed. Other than balances, balance springs, and a few other parts, it appears that most of the parts of the various Waltham timers of WWII are interchageable.

Maybe one of our other contributors will have additional information.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hello Simon/Greg,

Waltham used the A.Schild (AS736) in the timers....if that is your case it is easy to find the mainspring, for what the stopwatch parts are concerned they are interchangeable with the HEUER 900 unless you are able to make the spring yourself, if not or no luck to find it let us know....
rgds
enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
The original Waltham spring is number 2246.
Most any supplier can furnish this mainspring.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Many thanks for the information so far. I can now start looking for a mainspring.

posted
Now that I have a mainspring...I have other major problems!!
The balance wheel "wobbles". The balance jewels look intact but the balance staff wobbles side-to-side. Is this likely to be a jewel damaged or worn? A balance staff broken? The balance cock bent (upwards)? Or am I missing something?
Any advice on how I can determine what he problem is, then advice on what parts to get (and where to get them) would be excellent! Confused

posted
Simon,
If needed,Balance staffs are available.
Go to
www.dashto.org/detailedsitemap
Or order from
Dashto@erols.com
part no 197.107 Staff for Waltham stopwatch $4.00 plus postage.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Hi Simon,

remove the balance cock together with the balance assy with care, disinstall the hairspring stud at the bal cock and free the bal assy then inspect the pivots of the staff, if upper and lover pivots are there inspect then the upper (bal cock) and lower (platine) jewels if lost or broken then determine which way to go...
rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005